• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light

Vernicious

NAXJA Forum User
So the airbag light on my 99 XJ sport is coming on periodically. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I've done tons of reading and have read that this is typically the clockspring. Now I'm not just going to start changing parts, but everything I've read points directly at the spring. So the real question...

Is the clockspring one of those electrical parts that I want a genuine Jeep part? If so, where has everyone found their parts? I've looked at a few places, but seem to only find the Dorman clockspring. Just curious at this point, I have to do the troubleshooting first.

Our shop has installed the dorman part with good results so far. FWIW

If you suspect the clock spring, try honking the horn while the light is on. If nothing happens, suspect a bad clock spring or connector. If the horn honks, you might have to do a bit more diagnosis.

If you suspect the clock spring, try honking the horn while the light is on. If nothing happens, suspect a bad clock spring or connector. If the horn honks, you might have to do a bit more diagnosis.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that. To further complicate all this, the cruise control has not worked since I've owned the vehicle...

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that. To further complicate all this, the cruise control has not worked since I've owned the vehicle...
Most likely clock spring is your issue. But brake failing brake switch can also cause CC not to function.

X2. Ran into that same problem with a Chrysler once. Similar-ish year too. Cruise control buttons on the steering wheel and horn wouldn't work, airbag light on, new clockspring fixed it.

Awesome, thanks for the tips! It doesn't act up very often, but I suspect that it will get worse and worse over time. Next time the light comes I'll do the horn thing.

Awesome, thanks for the tips! It doesn't act up very often, but I suspect that it will get worse and worse over time. Next time the light comes I'll do the horn thing.

The light will get triggered for a very short open circuit, so it might happen and set the light for awhile, but also could not show in the horn not working by the time you get to press it.

The ACM (airbag control module) can also fail and cause an intermittant light.

Easiest way to diagnose is borrow/rent/buy a good code reader that can read abs/airbag codes. If the light is set there is a code you can read.

The light will get triggered for a very short open circuit, so it might happen and set the light for awhile, but also could not show in the horn not working by the time you get to press it.

The ACM (airbag control module) can also fail and cause an intermittant light.

Easiest way to diagnose is borrow/rent/buy a good code reader that can read abs/airbag codes. If the light is set there is a code you can read.

That's under the seat, right?

So the light came on this morning, and I hit the horn. Unfortunately the horn worked. So more troubleshooting is necessary.

Trying holding the horn while turning the wheel, if it cuts out while turning the clockspring should be replaced.

It could still be the clockspring, imagine if you drove with your hand always on the horns, ALWAYS, and then one time the horn stopped for barely an instant, and then came back on, and then the light came on......that would also be a failed clockspring.....just not one you can tell by honking the horn AFTER the intermittent failure occured.

That's under the seat, right?

Originally under the seat for the 97-99, however a recall was issued in 99MY and it should have been relocated to under the center console/console pocket. If its not there you can still get the recall done to move it under the center console.

But....GET THE CODE READ! It will tell you if its a failing ACM(like I had on my XJ, but is not very common) or if its a "drivers side airbag squib open circuit" or something like that.

If you were closer I would read your code with my DRBIII, maybe someone around you has the code readers to read it for you?(other than the dealer)

On my 99XJ when my clock spring was going, first I got an airbag light issue for about a week or 2 and than after about 2 weeks after the initial airbag light issue I started to have issues with the horn.

But....GET THE CODE READ! It will tell you if its a failing ACM(like I had on my XJ, but is not very common) or if its a "drivers side airbag squib open circuit" or something like that.

If you were closer I would read your code with my DRBIII, maybe someone around you has the code readers to read it for you?(other than the dealer)

Don't worry I will. I have barely had the time to think since this has started due to work, but that's about to be over. I'm the head of a committee and we are having our banquet this weekend (over 800 people). So soon I'll have a little more time on my hands. I'm not going to replace a thing without reading the codes, and doing some basic troubleshooting.

So it's been a while, but I was finally able to start troubleshooting this problem. I went to a buddies house and had him download the ECU. The issue is that the OBD II scanner would not recognize the computer. To make sure it's not the scanner we hooked it up to his vehicle and it read immediately. So now I have to figure out why the ECU won't recognize the scanner... My guess is wiring, but only time will tell.

Back