• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing/replacing rubber windshield molding

daddyrat

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 2 door XJ with a windshield leak only at the car wash. The Jeep came with the 1 piece rubber molding around it from the 94 and up windshields. I want to pull it to investigate the leak. I have done appropriate searches in this forum and found nothing pertaining specifically to the molding.

My question is, does the rubber molding pull straight out and than the new replacement molding just need to pushed or worked in?

I think the rubber molding is fitted to the windshield before it is glued to the car. personally i would just have the windshield replaced or removed and resealed.

It just pulls off. My guess is you have rust above the windshield leaking. The last time I had one put in my xj my windshield guy wasnt able to save the molding and threw it in without it because i had a fix it ticket. Still no molding to this day and leak free.

1994+ rubber like front windshield glass gaskets are a one-time use item set in the windshield adhesive, and are not serviceable, or re-useable. If the 94+ front windshield glass is removed, a new gasket is installed.

Brand: Mopar
Part Number: 55235391AB

Item Name: Molding

Category 1: Body Hardware

Category 2: Windshield

Category 3: Reveal Moldings

Other Part Numbers: 55235372, 55235391AC, 55175229, 55235391, 55235194

A new genuine Jeep glass gasket is under $70 retail, the glass installer should be able to get one for $40-50. No point in trying to solve a windshield leak by re-using an old gasket.

Thanks guys. I don't want to replace the windshield, it has no cracks. I just hope to pull the gasket out, repair the rust hole or whatever, replace the gasket with a new one. Is that possible? Sounds like it might be. Thanks again...

The glass and the gasket are permanently set in the adhesive. You have to remove both at the same time, and install both at the same time.

The glass and the gasket are permanently set in the adhesive. You have to remove both at the same time, and install both at the same time.

Thanks, not what I wanted to hear but I really appreciate all the responses. Thanks again Tim_MN. Saved me a big mess.

Back