• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At the crossroads.....time to make a decision

Georgia Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Everything with my XJ's suspension system, with the exception of the front coils and shocks, are worn out. I have seriously thought about not moving forward with it, but I have so many other new parts tucked away for it that it would be a shame to let it get parted out.

I'm at a crossroads here and I'm either going to walk away from it or build right it one last time. I want something that's going to stand up for at least the next 10 years without major issues. The RE Super Flex kit has served me well but I'd like to move on to long arms if I'm going to rebuild it.

I am going to set my budget to $2,000 for suspension components because I still have to pay for new wheels and tires (35x12.50 Pit Bull Rockers when they come available). I had a RE Extreme Duty long arm kit before on another XJ and was pretty well happy with it, and that's right in my price range. My only concern is now that TransAmerica owns them, has the quality suffered any? And also, their leaf springs have never impressed me much at all.

So my question for you guys is simple. Since I haven't followed new products for quite some time, what other options are there? Have you pieced together a system that you're happy with? If so, what was your total cash outlay for all the parts?

And before someone says it, and I know you guys mean well when you do say it :D , at this point in life building a set is out of the question. I'm 47 years old and have zero desire to do so.

Cliff Notes
1: Complete suspension replacement
2: Long arms
3: $2,000 budget (not including wheels & tires)
4: Bolt on (minor welding is fine but no fabrication work)

Looks like a nice kit, but what about the crossmember? Looks like I couldn't use my current skid with it and that would leave the transmission and t-case exposed. I see they do sell a crossmember, does it work with that system? Also, no shocks come with it so after I add the crossmember and shocks I'm well over my budget, unfortunately.

Those leaf springs look like quality pieces for sure. :thumbup:

The new re HD 5.5 leafs are amazing 8 leafs and ride great for an off the shelf spring. I just took off my deavers to have them rebuilt and needed something to put on till then. Now I'm in no rush to put the deavers back on. I'm running them with the boomerang shackle and shackle boxes.

Also running their new long arms since Trans took over. No complaints bushings still tight. The only thing I didn't like was the coils, a little soft for my go fast foot. Pac are better. But if you doing a shorter height their zj springs made me happy when I was lower. I like something around 230-240 on my coils.

The ft kit is also great. But I haven't ran it, only been in a jeep that had it.

The Trans take over offered up a lot of upgrades their mono tube are made by bilstein, springs are from a local CA company. The components are made in San Diego. They are able to put more r and d into the kits. Got to drive their jk coil over setup and was very pleased in my 16 hours behind the wheel. And I've hated every jk I drove.

TNT has a pretty stout long arm upgrade. Blah blah radius arm vs 3 link debate. I followed a LJ (same wheel base) around harlan on all different terrain and didn't see the "unloading" and "wheel hop" everyone freaks out about when they hear radius arm. Take the left over money and get some BDS leaf springs and a new RE double shear trac bar.

i started wheeling with the RE 4.5" super flex kit and have since replaced everything, including an axle swap and custom three link.

in terms of "bolt in" long arms... the TNT kit or clayton would be my go to. i actually fabbed my 3 link mirroring the clayton stuff, but with my 44 swap, didnt want to guess if their kit would work or not. (it likely would have been just fine)

i also now run PAC coils but will be replacing them with deavers.

the one thing i did keep from the kit was the 3.5" leafs. though i added shackle relocation brackets and swapped to boostwerks comp shackles. the rear flexes great.

one thing to consider is your tire choice... PBRs are heavy. and will make short work of D30 shafts. i also managed to obliterate an 8.25 on 35s. chromos should also be on your radar, 35s are a whole new ball game that most 30s are not up for.

Already have Ten Factory shafts in the 30 and 8.25, but will be swapping to an 8.8 out back when the suspension goes in. The reason for the PBR's is I got in on the sale they had back in November. Otherwise I'd go to a 34x10.50 LTB Swamper.

I haven't finished obtaining all the parts for mine yet but i will finish at just over 2000 at 2150 for all new parts. Everything is picked up in person too so no shipping costs added. Everything I bought or am getting is based on recommendations or firsthand feeling/touching of the products.

Rubicon express coils and leaf springs and trackbar w/frame mount and mono shocks(amazon free shipping).
Synergy 4 link long arms and brackets(no crossmember).
And then brake lines and shackle will be last after measuring for resting height and flex. Not super convinced on one brand over another for those and they all seem to be similar priced.

Everything is bolt on compatible but i will get someone to weld the synergy mounts on after talking to the guys at synergy(not that bolt on wouldn't be strong, they just recommended welding if possible).

I got 4.5 coils and 3.5 leafs from inland jeep in ca and am waiting to see what size shackle I will need to sit level. Not to take business away from vendors or small companies but rubicon express sells directly through Amazon with free shipping on most stuff. I always try to buy from localish people if I can find prices comparable to online but sometimes money is too tight to justify local shopping.

There is this guy I know that is a sponsor here again. His name is Andy and he owns Ironman4x4fab and he would be my first call....

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/LAK.html

Arms are $800 you choose what cross member you want. His stuff is pure beef!

Last edited:
I'd vote for Clayton for a 3 link or serious offroad for radius.

Give Rock Krawler a call. They no longer mass produce their 3 link kit but I have seen some who have called and they make it for them. I LOVED mine when I had it. It used to sell for ~$700. No new cross member needed and I ran it as a bolt on system. I went that route because I already had a trans skid and, at the time, didn't have a welder.

The problem I'm having with a lot of the kits or long arm upgrades is my wallet vs components. As it is I have this transmission & t-case skid

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/mikewendysara/media/1996 XJ/1996 XJ 176_zpspgwyimfk.jpg.html

and I'm not willing to give up the protection it provides without replacing it with something equal or better.....but the budget constraint is what it is. I can spend a little more if needed but I can't get into the $2500-up range. Right now the RE XD long arm kit is looking pretty good but I'll have to add shocks which will put it around $2200 after I buy them.

As a matter of fact, this is my build thread if anyone is interested in looking to see where it's currently at and what all has been done up to this point.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1119494

Next time you come this way if you would like to look at what is on the "race jeep" you are more than welcome. I also have a Clayton Crossmember in the trailer....

Back