• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no crank - power is being drawn

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
96 country 4.0 242 4x4

Hi Guys,

I am not cranking. Parked in a parking lot yesterday, came out and will not crank.

Have not been having starter problems recently.

Battery is good, jump start does not help. I can hear solenoid click and voltage drops significantly when I turn the key so there is a big draw but Starter is not turning. removed and cleaned all battery connections.

Came home to get some tools so I could turn the crank from the front in case it the flywheel is possibly binding on the starter gear? Don't know if this will have any effect.

Any ideas?

Bad Battery, Bad starter,Cheap jumper cables.Take your pick, where to start. If it was mine it would get cleaned cables and a new battery first.:firedevil

Try this. Using a small jumper wire or short screw driver, connect the small terminal on the starter solenoid (this comes from the ign switch) to the large terminal with your battery cable. DO NOT CONNECT BOTH LARGE TERMINALS. Also make sure you don't contact any ground.

You should hear the solenoid click and the starter should turn. If not, it's most likely the starter, assuming everything else is OK. If it does, then it's something else "upstream". Check your connections at the starter.

If not, then using a hammer or other tool (I've even used a rock), try tapping on the starter housing. Sometimes the brushes stick and don't make a good contact. This could shake them loose and allow you to start.

Try this. Using a small jumper wire or short screw driver, connect the small terminal on the starter solenoid (this comes from the ign switch) to the large terminal with your battery cable. DO NOT CONNECT BOTH LARGE TERMINALS. Also make sure you don't contact any ground.

You should hear the solenoid click and the starter should turn. If not, it's most likely the starter, assuming everything else is OK. If it does, then it's something else "upstream". Check your connections at the starter.

If not, then using a hammer or other tool (I've even used a rock), try tapping on the starter housing. Sometimes the brushes stick and don't make a good contact. This could shake them loose and allow you to start.

Yep. You can do this with a pair of jumper cables if you're really desperate. Connect the battery ground to the start case, connect the battery positive to the starter terminal, jumper the solenoid and starter terminals with a screwdriver you don't care about. Also pays to check the solenoid action. That's the problem I ran into a couple years ago. Starter would spin fine, but the solenoid wasn't pushing the starter gear out far enough.

New Jeep 4.0 starters a cheap, almost as cheap as the solenoid on the starter these days. Some fiddle with working on the starters, change brushes, change to solenoid, flip the contact part inside the solenoid on some. I just replace the entire starter and move on. 99% sure from your post the starter assy is bad, since you hear the solenoid click(?).

I sometimes jump-short the two large posts on the starter solenoid itself with a steel bar, old screw driver, or what ever, it will arc and try to weld so do it fast, that by passes the solenoid and will run the starter motor to see if it is fried or not. But lately the solenoids are so costly, I just replace the entire thing.

Thanks guys. It was the starter motor. Solenoid was fine which is good because the wrecker starter I picked up had a good motor in a bad solenoid. Back on the road again:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back