• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Locks (please read) This is different

Cherokeelimepie

NAXJA Forum User
Like so many others I am trying to get my power locks working. It gets interesting. I have a 4 door 90 Cherokee that originally came with keyless entry.

First off, the locks aren't trying to work. I have read several threads and almost every time it boils down to there not being enough voltage at the actuator motor. This is definitely not the case here.

I am getting 12.7 volts at the power lock switch. I am also getting 12v at the actuator motors. The problem is that 12 volts is hitting both sides at the same time. For example, if you test the drk green wire at the actuator and press unlock, you see 12v. If you test the same drk green wire and press lock, you will see 12v on the same wire. Alternatively, If you test the tan wire at the actuator, you get 12v when you press lock as well as unlock...

So, both the drk green and tan wires are seeing 12v at the same time regardless of the switch.

Other helpful insights are:
Both the drivers side and pass side are "broke".
The 12v regardless situation is happening on both sides.
I have tried new relays in the factory keyless entry system.
I have tried different lock switches.
I have tried different lock actuators..
If I test for resistance between the drk green and tan, I get what amounts to a "short".. Are they crossed somewhere?
I can't find any broken wires. All the factory connectors are in place.

I have literally run out of ideas. Everything is still apart, door panels off, etc. If you have any suggestions please fire away.

If it was mine i would remove the passenger switch and checkl it again.If the same thing happens i would get new switchs

Sigh* Honestly I hope you are right. However I have swapped switches around and no matter what I do there is 12v on both sides of the switch. Thanks for the input.

Are you saying there is 12 volts on the ground side as well? If so there is a bad ground, and or 12 volts from another source trying to get to that ground, but is fighting a defective ground.

Back