• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac lol clutch upgrade ?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 C8.25

Ivery read you can upgrade the c8 25 track lol clutchso to tighteread ones so the lsd engages better.

How well does this perform off road?
Does this still require service after 30000 miles?

Not sure about the Trac LOC but Eaton sells multiple style clutch packs for their position units. I think with the Trac LOC you shim the side gears with extra plates until you can't fit more. That said they still wear and if used enough it will wear, maybe much sooner than 30k. The Eaton style posi in my Chevelle doesn't even last that long but it gets worked a lot, and stickies on the strip are hard on them.

I have read that you can pack the clutches "extra". I run my 8.25 stock and have something like 40,000 miles on the clutches and they still work as it should, but most of those miles are highway. If you are bumping against the limits of the Trac Lok, you should look at another platform or just plan on replacing them periodically. If you are wheeling you should go selectable IMHO.

I did this with my 8.8. Bought the cobra kevlar disks and packed it tight. Its worthless in the rocks. And marginal in the dirt. Good for doing doughnuts. For the rear axle a selectable is the best option. You can go with an automatic also.

Yeah I think I'm going to need another option. I want selectable but it's crazy money. Full-time Detroit seems a burden on the road. Oh well thanks for the help

You can also get an open carrier and get a lunchbox locker. Same action on the road. Its really not as bad as its made out to be. I have driven with an automatic rear with both an auto and manual trans. You can very easily finess it with an auto and almost not even know its there. It is extremely difficult do with a manual trans. Not unbearable but definitely obvious there is an auto locker in there.

There are other options besides arb as well. Some much less expensive routes.

arb seems to be worth the cash if your going selectable, however the real deterrent on an auto locker for me is the noise they make. Detroit being better than many. mine is a DD and i really want function without sacrifice of daily
use = selectable and $$$$. maybe the detroit but thats really the only auto i think ide consider.

arb seems to be worth the cash if your going selectable, however the real deterrent on an auto locker for me is the noise they make. Detroit being better than many. mine is a DD and i really want function without sacrifice of daily
use = selectable and $$$$. maybe the detroit but thats really the only auto i think ide consider.

Go with a Powertrax "No-slip", mine been noise free for 16yrs now!

Rear auto lockers tend not to make a lot of noise, especially if you have an automatic (there is always a little preload on it). They take a light throttle if you're driving in winter weather, but you do get used to it pretty quick and its not a huge problem.

I drove on a rear detroit for years and don't recall every hearing a sound out of it.

Back