• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration on Initial Acceleration

MaroonJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a bit of guidance.

I recently replaced my transmission mount in an attempt to eliminate a mild vibration that I was experiencing (1) when the engine was cold, (2) was in reverse, (3) and on the break or coasting under idle power.

Good news - the new transmission mount seems to have solved that issue, however, it has uncovered a worse vibration...

The truck now vibrates under initial acceleration from a stop or very slow roll. No issues at normal road speeds (25/35), on the highway, or at a stop. When it occurs, the vibration seems to be at the same frequency as the engine RPM.

Notable/relevant vehicle details:
  • 2000 XJ w/ 140k miles. AW-4 Automatic transmission.
  • 2 or 2.5 inch lift
  • transfer case drop
  • (possibly) original motor mounts. They looked good about a year ago I had the motor out. They still look OK, but the bushings are at a bit of an angle because of the t-case drop
  • new transmission mount
  • u joints dont SEEM to have any movement in them
  • exhaust hangers look good. I cannot detect a leak.
  • vibration occurs in both 2HI and 4x4
  • Cannot determine source of the vibration, but it feels like the front of the vehicle. I can feel it in the seat, petals, and steering wheel.

I plan to take a closer look at u-joints within the next week. Probably remove the front drive shaft then test drive. repeat for rear. But, I don't believe this is the issue.

Because this has only surfaced immediately after replacing the transmission mount, I feel that this is a big hint and can only leave a short list of things to check. What else do you think I should be checking?

Thank you for the help!

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a driveshaft u-joint on its way south. I can't explain why it would smooth out once things got moving, but that is how it behaved.

You have a transfer case drop but did you adjust the rear axle pinion angle?
In my experience, a 2" to 2-1/2" lift will require about 3/4" of transfer case drop and 2-4 degree shims, for the rear axle spring mounts, to get the u-joint angles right.

Back