• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter adapter woes

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
Well, Im not sure how, but I must have tweeked something yesterday because when I tried to remove the filter I must have beat it so hard that I tweeked something and turned the adapter down towards block and now cant fit the filter back on. Is it possible have bent the adapter or can I just unscrew it, movie back up and re-torque it? Its a 1997 4.0 115k miles

Sounds like a good time to remove the adapter and replace the O-rings.

Unbolt and rotate.

How far up can I rotate it?
Take the adapter off, pull the roll pin that is stuck in the block (and likely bent), you can clock the adapter any way you want.

When I can't get oil filters off, I take a long locating bar and beat it through the oil filter and use that as leverage to get it off. It often takes several holes though the oil filter if they are that tight. Or I use the right tool for the job, in this case, the appropriate oil filter removal tool... Ford FL1A filters have been easier to remove by hand than NAPA/Wix filters in my experience. And the FL1A's are far cheaper at Wal Mart's...

thanks, yeah ive been running FL1A's and Walmart supertech 10w30 full synthetic for over a decade now...best filter/oil for me. And yes the correct adapter for the filter was great, but did not work, not even the old punching a hole threw it did. I had to chisel the thing off...it was not fun

Back