• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping water on the outside

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
I have the dreaded cargo area leaks. I seem to contain the Atlantic ocean when it rains. My first step was to remove the roof rack and it's still the same. It's coming in through the piller on the driver's side. I have the rug and lower panels off and can't quite pinpoint it. I used some silicon to fill areas that had cracking filler on the hatch lip. But I haven't taken the cover off were the wires run in. I'm going to try and seal that tomorrow morning. But if that doesn't solve it where should I look next? I also sealed the tops of the tail light housings but it's coming in above that. Also does not leak at the window seals.

Side note anyone know the size of the rubber nut inserts and thread pitch?

My XJ used to leak at the plastic cover for the wires that run just below the roof line to the hatch. With the interior plastic trim removed, I did the water hose test. I got a good replacement cover at the PNP and sealed it real good. The other side have the hose for the rear windshield washer but have no problem there to date.

i found that the grommet on the wires was pulled out and cut. so i filled it with silicon. but it looks like i missed a cracked body filler joint. im hoping its coming from that. i tried to get some silicon in it but its been raining. it does look like its slowed down so thats a start.

The window on my hatch leaked to inside the hatch. when I lifted the hatch it would dribble onto the hatch pillar onto the carpet. The carpet stayed wet and that is where the rot started. If all else fails you might check yours out also.

I eventually got a few pin holes in the cargo floor, the tires would sling water into and through those pin holes and additionally soak the same area.

Super glue works well for cracked filler joints.

The window on my hatch leaked to inside the hatch. when I lifted the hatch it would dribble onto the hatch pillar onto the carpet. The carpet stayed wet and that is where the rot started. If all else fails you might check yours out also.

I eventually got a few pin holes in the cargo floor, the tires would sling water into and through those pin holes and additionally soak the same area.

Super glue works well for cracked filler joints.

Super glue? That is a new one. I do not think it will build up would it?
In the engine compartment I used a silicone for that. I wanted something flexible.

Super glue? That is a new one. I do not think it will build up would it?
In the engine compartment I used a silicone for that. I wanted something flexible.

I'm thinking more of those tiny cracks in the joint filler/paint in the rain gutters and other places. Super glue flows into the cracks, a double application usually seals them up and lasts. They do make a gel super glue also that flows slower.

I usually clean with acetone then super glue the small cracks, epoxy the bigger ones. I rarely use silicon for anything.

Goop works a whole lot better than silicon for most things, especially plastic. People forget about plumbers Goop, dries slow but makes a really good bond. I've had poor results with silicon, except maybe for rubber pieces.

A little trick, a tiny paint brush and some grease painted on where you don't want anything to stick can make the job a whole lot neater.

it has stopped raining today. im going to get out there on lunch and try and get it sealed up. i think i managed to get something in the crack as it looks like it did stop or at least slowed it down to a drip or 2.

Back