• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Lean

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Jeep xj 4.0 I6 4WD
I have a minor suspicion that I may be running lean. I have had this engine in for about 5k. The Xj is a barn find. I have replaced engine, water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, plugs, leads, rotor, dist cap, dist, fuel pump, o2's, brakes and a few other things not relevant to the engine. Long story short I just have a minor suspicion it might be running a little lean. A pinpoint to any sensors, wires ect that could cause this would be nice. Just to confirm or subside my concern. Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Not to highjack... buut since we are on the subject, replaced oil pan gasket last night, battery was unhooked for a few hours while I was doing this. and I found a large crack in the exhaust manifold. it now is throwing a code for running lean, and slow response from bank 1 sensor 1 (front O2)
1999 XJ
200k miles
Just switched to mobile 1
Also a 5 speed
The other issue is I noticed on my starter the flywheel is eating a groove into it, warped flywheel? cuz I tried to wiggle it and it didn't have any play what so ever
And will that mobile 1 help clean some of the varnish off?

Back