• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick help needed...8.25 axle diameter?

Vintage Smoke

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to source some u bolts today to swap out springs. Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the 8.25 axle tube? I am away from home with no caliper or even a tape measure.

3"

The ones I just bought from Napa were p/n 650-4028, sku 664766128608, U-bolt 1/2 x 3 x 8.

I find that it is better to go to a truck shop where they can custom make them for you on the spot. I take an old u-bolt with me so there is no confusion. They are typically better than what NAPA will sell and may be cheaper, too. If you go this route, keep in mind they often use taller nuts so you need at least 1" longer...

I find that it is better to go to a truck shop where they can custom make them for you on the spot. I take an old u-bolt with me so there is no confusion. They are typically better than what NAPA will sell and may be cheaper, too. If you go this route, keep in mind they often use taller nuts so you need at least 1" longer...
That was my original plan. I drove 40 mins in the snow to get there and find out that they only do counter sales on Saturday. The back shop where the make the bolts is closed.
At least now I can get everything done this weekend and get new tires on the Jeep. Driving in the snow on bald tires sucks!!

That was my original plan. I drove 40 mins in the snow to get there and find out that they only do counter sales on Saturday. The back shop where the make the bolts is closed.
At least now I can get everything done this weekend and get new tires on the Jeep. Driving in the snow on bald tires sucks!!

just dont over tighten those u bolts it can crush the tube, ask me how i know. 80 lbs is plenty.

just dont over tighten those u bolts it can crush the tube, ask me how i know. 80 lbs is plenty.
So a 3/4" air gun is probably overkill? lol
I'll keep that in mind. I never would have thought that possible without the u bolt snapping first. I'll have to get my head out of heavy truck spring calibration for this job.

So a 3/4" air gun is probably overkill? lol
I'll keep that in mind. I never would have thought that possible without the u bolt snapping first. I'll have to get my head out of heavy truck spring calibration for this job.

Snug with impact, tighten by hand.

You will crush the tube.

Grade 8 bolts? Deep nuts?............tube crushes before bolt breaks.

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

I was only kidding about the 3/4" air gun. When I was a teen I used to work in my uncles truck shop and I remember doing truck springs on his oil trucks. We started with a 3/4" gun and then 4 guys on a 6 foot breaker bar with a torque multiplier. I don't remember the exact spec (it was 25 years ago), but the final torque was probably in the 500 ft/lb range.

Anak - Those u-bolts worked, and I really do appreciate the quick reply, but they could have been a bit shorter. I wound up cutting about 2 1/2" off of the top after I was done and I came close to running out of threads. If I was doing stock spring packs it would have been very close.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!!!

Back