• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle truss question

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I have been looking at trusses people put on in some of the builds. I am curious about putting them over or under? I know a truss on top keeps the clearance as high as possible but then the first thing to hit anything is the axle tube. From a physics perspective I am curious if the axle tube is supposed to be strong enough to take a hit from a rock why isn't it strong enough to not have a truss at all.

I know a truss on the bottom takes away some clearance but then it would be protecting the axle. Also would it not also allow more up-travel than an over-the-axle truss?

Someone school me in trusses please.

Seals and shafts aren't the issue, cracking a housing is!

Not to mention tubes can break out of the center section. Axle tubes can have a surprising amount of flex in them in stock form. Adding a truss is kinda like triangulating a roll cage and properly designed makes the entire thing stronger

Back