• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a 98' Banks Header fit under 2000 intake?

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the deal. I am fighting an exhaust leak ever since my stroker build in my 2000 XJ. I use the 2000 HO intake, Edelbrock 4.0 head (which has the old exhaust ports) and currently a Banks shorty header for a 2000 XJ. This means the header doesn't really match the exhaust ports on the head. If I need to switch to a pre-1999 header to get a better match I need to make sure the pre-1999 header tubes will fit under the newer intake manifold. I know people swap the HO intake into their older XJ's so I thought I would ask about the fit?

I've got a borla + a 99+ intake on my 95 HO stroker, everything fits fine. The new intake on the older engines are a popular "upgrade" which really wakes up a stroker with cam and head work.

not to highjack, but here is my question, ive looked at headers and they have em usually split up 97-98 00-01 and then 99 is by itself, what's different with the motors? and if mine is an early 99 would it use a 98 header?

The difference is the pre-cat header and that they raised the exhaust ports on the 00+ head (0331). Putting an older head on it exposes the bottom of the port and creates an exhaust leak. The other problem is that since it's a pre-cat you will have 4 02 sensors. the earlier headers don't support that configuration. There's a thread on here where someone made a "spacer" to fix this mismatch and was selling them. https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384

Back