• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random Coolant Leak 2001 XJ

98Redbird

NAXJA Forum User
Last year I went through the entire cooling system, due to cracked head on 01. Replaced head/gasket/bolts, etc. Also installed new radiator, hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump. No issues, until last week.

It has recently gotten pretty cold here in central IL, so I went out before work to start it up, let it run for 15 minutes or so. I came back out to leave, and noticed spots on the ground under the sway bar, so I bent down to see what it was. Coolant, and lots of it. It had sprayed all over the front of the engine so I couldn't located where it was coming from initially. Rinsed it all down and drove it to work. Held temperature just fine, didn't act any different that normal. Still had about an inch of coolant in the bottom of the reservoir. It has not leaked since... I can see where it came from, both ends of the upper radiator hose as there is coolant residue sprayed down the passengers side of the radiator, and also leaked down the outside of the thermostat housing. I checked the clamps, they are tight, I let it warm up, and grabbed that hose and wiggled it back and forth to see if it would start to leak... nothing.

I'm kind of at a loss as to how in the world this thing can decide to leak like crazy for just a short period of time, and then seal back up like nothing ever happened... have any of you ever seen this before? Any thoughts? I'm kind of at a loss.

Thanks!

Check for loose hose clamps and fittings. We have equipment that leak when they are cold, as they warm up they expand and the leaks stop. Someplace to start with anyways...

mine did the same thing the other day, it was about 10* out. it was leaking coolant from the lower hose. As soon as it got warmer it quit. it hasn't leaked a drop since. I think it done it cuz the hose shrank and wasn't sealing while it was cold

Back