• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

when to replace headlights

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
guys i have silvania silverstars and im wondering how long do lights last and when should they be replaced. I have had many times on the way home from trails in the evening where ive had close calls with wild life. Im looking into additional lighting, but those that drive the hills know its a must to see. halogens wear over time but i need advice on how often these get replaced. currently everything driving at me seems 100x brighter than my 99. they are probably 7yrs old.

thank you for your help

Install a supplemental headlight harness first.

Whatever lights you have will be about 35% brighter.

And, the headlight switch won't get hot and fail on a dark road......

First thing to do is get a headlight relay harness. It really makes a huge difference. Next up I would be looking at H4 housings and bulbs, or the "hot new new" LED headlights as choices. I went with AutoPal eCodes and Osram bulbs, and I'm very happy with it. Plenty of usable light, and low cost.

I'm running the same Silverstars in my 87 Ranger from 2008... I remember the year because they both cut out within 3 minutes of each other, and I just had fog lights and high beams!! A harness upgrade on them as well currently. I also have clear front signals, and the Silverstar "silvery-yellow" coated bulbs, and those are from 2001...

LEDs are so much more efficient, you really don't need to upgrade the harness.

i plan on doing the led upgrade. i might as well stick glow in the dark stars on for headlights now.

i just need to fine a set that looks good. and i don't have to sacrifice my first born to pay for them.

LED's! I just did it and I wish I had many years ago.

For a good "DOT approved" LED that won't break the bank, look at High Beam Offroad Predators. About 2/3 the cost of TrukLites and they work very well.

It's more of an overlay. Upgraded e code style lenses and the harness will give you the best all around light. If you need more long range to supplement your hi beams, a quality driving light will help a lot. I have hella 500s on mine and wired them on with the high beams l. It's like daylight.

update. my headlights are new silverstar sealed beams. they are better than the older worn out sssbeams. Then i added and octane harness today and these lights have come alive. such white light and most anything i pull up to on the road that isnt hid these outshine.
I did have the common problem of turning the high beams on and they stayed on until the headlight switch was truned off. So far pulling the fog relay has resolved this issue 100%.

Thanks for the recommendation, i cant imagine what would happen with H4 or led added to the harness. maybe later but first some auxiliary lights.

update. my headlights are new silverstar sealed beams. they are better than the older worn out sssbeams. Then i added and octane harness today and these lights have come alive. such white light and most anything i pull up to on the road that isnt hid these outshine.
I did have the common problem of turning the high beams on and they stayed on until the headlight switch was truned off. So far pulling the fog relay has resolved this issue 100%.

Thanks for the recommendation, i cant imagine what would happen with H4 or led added to the harness. maybe later but first some auxiliary lights.

Thanks for the update. Nice, eh?

LEDs are superior, but bang for the buck H4s win in my book. I'm running H4s with the upgraded harness and the light output it great. My plan is to add a light bar and still have money left over from what I would have spent on the LEDs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SilverStar headlights should last you between 150-200 hrs. Personally I find led lights to look cheap. They are also a problem for oncoming traffic as you will be seeing very little yet be blinding them. If you plan to keep the SilverStars then just change them whenever they seem dim or you notice condensation/some other distortion behind the glass. Make sure you change them in pairs. They are very reliable so long as they are changed in pairs.

Back