• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help. Urgent. Intermediate steering shaft bad.

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
Well the steering shaft in my 94 is bad. The vibration damper on the end close to the column has failed. I need a quick repair ,

Quardatec has three different shafts listed,
86-94
95-95
97-01
What is the difference and can I make a newer one fit.
I need this fixed ASAP I have to drive 7 hours on this think Sunday, no time for shipping and I have a junk yard near by with a few cherokees I can yank the shaft out of.
Help.
Thanks chris

the only issue with a junkyard one is getting the length right. i had to use an air hammer to lengthen one i got. i think with the addition of airbags changed something.

and true the dampener is not part of the shaft. its part of the interior half.

Ok, I see a part below the top ujoints that may be what you're talking about.
For a junk yard 84-94 should work, avoid the early xj 84-86 as those are crappy gm looking rubber dampener that really can fail catastrophically. Not that your likely to see too many of the really old xj in junk yard.

The steering gears are the same throughout the xj run, so that end of the shaft is the same, jeep must have changed the steering column side 95 and 96-01

If you've got no choice in your year range grab the later years steering column too if you can.

I'm try to search if anybody has used a 97+ in a pre 94 xj.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Column won't interchange with out dash. Only one in the right year range is an 86 with a 2.8. if I cannt find a replacement then I'll hack mine together to get me home.

The large part of the upper joint where it mates to the rest of the intermediate shaft is where the play is located. Play is located in the shaft not the column.

the shaft is a collapsible one. there is 2 metal sleeves with a plastic core holding them tight. its supposed to slide in an accident. is that what failed on yours?

Either way the 86 will get you going. I think the 84-85 had the gm rag joint, the later shafts are much improved. Hell the gm guys are buying xj steering shafts to fix their rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grabbed a 96 shaft since it looked right, might be a slight difference in length which the colasable part should take care of. The 86 had a column removed and they tool half the shaft with them. 97+ is a completely different design.

Back