• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another lift question

KevHert

NAXJA Forum User
Hi - First time posting. I've searched through the forums as best I could, but still confused and overwhelmed. I have a 1997 XJ bone stock (former government vehicle). It's a DD and also a towed for the RV. I'm planning on putting an OME medium duty lift with 30's. The kit comes with a transfer case drop but will i still have any vibrations to deal with? Any other surprises I may be in for? thanks

With a tcase drop you should not have any other vibration issues.

Problem with transfer case drop is that is jacks up your exhaust and pulls on your motor mounts. When I got my 97 XJ with budget boost and t-case drop my exhaust looked like a shit show, and one of the motor mounts was broken. I put a SYE in it & redid the exhaust. I measured before hand and couldn't get the driveline angles less than the recommended 15 degrees IIRC for u-joint reliability/longevity. My 97 XJ does have a 242 transfer case.

see how much lift it totals when its installed, if you measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of stock flares the measurement should be 17.5" at stock hight

It says 1.5" in front and 3" in back, but everything I've read says its about 2.5" in front
My 97 XJ has the medium duty OME lift.
The rear came out at 3-1/2" and the front at 2-1/2".
I pulled one leaf, out of each leaf spring, as per OME instructions, and the rear now sits at 2-1/2".
The 97 is set up for RV towing and I wanted to keep the weight down. The ride was too stiff, with the full spring pack, so the leaf was removed.
If I carried more weight, I would keep the full spring pack.

If you are doing the work yourself put the lift on and drive it. If you have vibes add the transfercase drop brackets. You may not need it. Usually 3.5"+ you get vibes, though it's possible a smaller lift could to.

If you plan on a shop lifting the vehicle maybe look under the jeep and see what kind of Tcase u have and put the Sye kit on just so you have a solid driveline.

My 97 XJ, with a 2-1/2" lift, needed a transfercase drop of 3/4" to even out the u-jont angles.
Every XJ is slightly different, due to manufacturing tolerances.
Even if vibes are not felt, they can be there and, if so, will damage the u-joints and pinion bearings.
Accurately measuring the u-joint angles and adjusting accordingly, is advised.
The front axle pinion angle should be checked too and should not exceed 1 degree.

Back