• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remove carpet when welding on 2x6 rock sliders

dan1977p

NAXJA Forum User
I'd highly recommend following the advice that I completely ignored. Now I need to clean off all the melted rubber backing from the carpet before I can patch up the holes in the floor.
Also, if going high enough to trim the doors, I'd remove the wire bundle under the floor trim too. Thankfully I didn't need to go that high.

Yeah, I installed hooligan 2x6 channels on mine. I had to sit in the Jeep with the carpet pulled back with a squirt bottle while my friend welded. Needed a fan blasting through the hatch with all of the doors open just to be in there. Haha

I didn't get a manual with the 12' stick of 2x6 steel. Even if I had removed the carpet, now that I'm in fixing all the rust in the floors, I noticed that I was burning more of the seam sealer anyway so a little smoke was inevitable in my case.

ah ha! yeah generally you don't get a manual with that lol. I thought I saw a brand when I first read your post

Back