• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 removal and install...sounds like something is hitting the floorpan

x1n54n3x

NAXJA Forum User
98/4.0/AX15/NP231

Recently removed a bummed AX15 (3rd and 4th went; grinding in neutral) and went the route of a used AX15. Said it was tested and approved (shifts, seals, bearings, etc.) so I'm assuming it isn't the unit itself. Removal was clean, install was clean, however upon driving out of the garage, I noticed a loud noise coming from the front half of the XJ when easing into gear. It SOUNDS as if there is something spinning in the driveline that is hitting the floor from underneath. A loud tapping noise that goes away when the clutch is in. Rolling in neutral will not reproduce this noise, regardless of speed. Cannot reproduce the noise in 4th or 5th, even at WOT. Sometimes it is loud and intermittent and sometimes is quieter but at much higher pace. I push the clutch in to kill whatever it is making the noise.

Any ideas? I don't think anything is hanging down there that would hit the driveshafts and swing up to hit the floorpan, and I have read that bad trans mount bushings may create clunking like noises, but I did not experience any of this prior with the old trans. Looking for ideas before I enlist a buddy to hang out of the door to help pinpoint the noise upon acceleration from stop. Driveshafts both look secure despite the noise sounding like it is at pace with the driveline. Even some tips in narrowing down the noise and the location of the noise will be helpful. I'm close to hanging a gopro down there, but don't exactly have the free time to be screwing around.

Edit: Further info-- I did not replace the clutch at all - it was replaced less than 12 months ago. I did not, besides remove and reinstall, do anything to the clutch slave cyl either. Clutch engages and disengages at the same position as it did prior to the trans replacement.

Last edited:
Exhaust pipe hitting the Xmember......check it, common problem.

If so, solution is a new trans mount, you can also, as I did, make a 1/4" spacer to raise the trans off the xmember........between the mount and xmember.

Also, check the driver's side engine mount.

A bad motor mount can also allow flex and cause things to bang.

Back