• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5100 vs. 5160

clydefrog

NAXJA Forum User
Who's running either model? I happened upon a free set of brand new rear 5160's for a JK (which would work perfect for an XJ with 5" lift which I have). My question is if its worth it to get a matching set of 5160's for the front or just get the 5100's.

The rig is purpose built for expedition/towing and some light to moderate four wheel trails. It sees A LOT of dirt and washed out roads. I currently have Hydro shocks in it and am surprisingly happy with them for on-road manners (they get soft after 1-3 miles of rough road). So I am long overdue for some shocks.

Just looking for feedback on the two models listed above, thanks!

Subscribed.

I'd get either 5160 or 7100 short bodies if you can afford that

I'd get either 5160 or 7100 short bodies if you can afford that
I think I am going to do the 5160's up front as well. The 7100's are just an adjustable/rebuildable version of the 5160's right?

No. The 7100's are a better class of shock.

Bigger hoses and fittings to the reservoir for better flow.
Bigger reservoir.
Rod ends instead of rubber bushings.

And yes, rebuild able, revalveable.

You can also get them in a 'short body' variety where they build a 12" travel shock that fits in the space of a 10" body. You'll get two more inches of usable suspension travel out of them.

Awesome thanks for the input. Didn't even consider the 7100, but they really aren't that much more (Only about $10 more each). I am running stock mounting in the front so figuring out a mounting solution might make me lean towards the 5160's. FYI if I went with the 7100's the two part numbers that would work in my application would be the AK7112SB -or- AK7112SB01.

Are there mounting solutions that would make the 7100's work?

Just found the JKS stuff, looks like they have upper mounts and lower mounts to make the 7100's work up front. The upper front mount that they have has a taper for the heims on the 7100's but it doesn't look like the lower front mount does.....

Also they have a pretty awesome looking rear shock mount (upper) but I'm not sure about having the shocks at and angle.

Ordered the 5160's. Didn't feel like messing with the mounting options available on the 7100's. I will post a status update and pics once installed, shooting for 10" of travel (full extend to fully compressed).

There are bolt on solutions for the 7100's from JKS, just costs another $50 or so.

The 5160's should do you fine though.

Back