• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering shaft removal/replacement

DanDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
- 1990 XJ, Power steering, AW4. The U-joints on the steering shaft are done for. So I purchased a replacement. I have a couple of questions about removal/replacement. Do I have to unbolt/remove the steering box ? The new shaft is the same length as the installed old shaft. I do not see a way to remove the old shaft without moving the steering box forward. I have seen some comments that the shaft is collapsible. Neither the new shaft nor the old one appear to collapse. I see where it could slide but I assume it is engineered to only collapse in a crash. Unbolting the steering gear is not a problem, however I need to plan that into the replacement time. If so I am guessing I need to pull the Pitman arm also. Any insight provided would be appreciated .

Thanks

No one bolt on the box, remove splined section from box. Slide out from other half of steering shaft. There's a bolt under the column as well if you want to pull that half out.

Loosen all three bolts on the steering box
Remove the 2 bolts closest to the cab
Tilt the box back hinged on the remaining Bolt
With the with the bolt removed from the steering shaft you can now remove the steering shaft
Unbolt from steering column and slide off steering column
Install the same way you removed

Back