• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case leaking question

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys so I noticed recently that my transfer case(NP231j) is leaking from the front cone where the driveshaft connects, I have fully cleaned it off and it is definitely only leaking from there. My question is, can you replace that front seal only and do it without removing the TC from the vehicle?

Can any of the XJ gods chime in please? should I just remove the front DS, pull that nut(anyone know the size) and then exactly how do I get the old seal out and the new one in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cruiser54 is a XJ god.

I believe it takes a 1-1/8" socket. Remove front DS, wrap a sock or thick shop towel over the yoke, hold it with a pipe wrench, remove the nut. Or use a yoke holder. Pull the yoke off. Since the seal is against the yoke, you will have working room to pull the seal out. Install in reverse steps. Torque yoke nut to 90-130 ft-lbs (FSM). Note there will be a rubber washer in there that is supposed to help seal the splines. Some people put a light coating of RTV on the splines as an additional seal.

Thanks guys, can I pick that seal up at say, Napa? I am going to take the TC apart in a few months when I rebuild it and put in my SYE with my lift kit addition. Just trying to stop the bleeding all over my garage floor for now.

Yeah, NAPA seals are fine. I used NAPA 19255 when I did it on my 242. Not sure if 231 is the same.

You can try the seal for a temp fix. The yoke is also what the seal rides against. I'm guessing you'll have a seal groove in the yoke. Be sure the new seal fits snug in that area.

Thanks for all the advice. Its really just a temporary fix until I get my lift in. Then I will split the case and rebuild it with new bearings and seals and chain, plus an sye.

You can try the seal for a temp fix. The yoke is also what the seal rides against. I'm guessing you'll have a seal groove in the yoke. Be sure the new seal fits snug in that area.

This is good advice, but sometimes it's just a matter of time.. the yoke may be fine. If not, look for another one.

So I finally was able to get that nut on that holds the yoke on and pulled it off this morning. My problem now is, how in the hell do I remove that old seal without damaging anything?

Ok I got the old seal out, once I did there was a bunch of old rtv on the splines of the shaft. When I put the new seal in, do I put rtv on the seal and on the splines?

Back