• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Excessive ball joint wear

Car Enthusiast

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause the ball joints to wear out so fast. I am replacing ball joints in my 01 with a rough country long arm kit lifted around 6" or 7", 33" KM2s, with 4.88 gears in my dana 30 with a locker up front. I have used all of the better ball joints (MOOG, Spicer, Timken) and I am still only getting about a year or less on them with the last year not even wheeling that much. I am going to try the Synergy ball joints now, and was looking to do a WJ OTK swap this winter, but was wondering if the ball joints are the same would the better geometry help with the wear? I don't really have any other issues with anything wearing out as fast. I am wanting to jump up to 35"s when these tires wear out but if this is going to be an issue I want to figure it out before I do.

Those aren't better balljoints. Moog and Spicer are both find for stock rigs, but aren't the quality they once were.

I've tried every balljoint out there. Already given up on the Synergy's, and at this point am running the Tera Flex JK balljoints with WJ knuckles, with fairly good luck.

If you're doing the WJ swap this winter, hold off on doing balljoints until then (specially synergy or similar) as you run a different balljoint with that knuckle.

What's your wheel backspacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

something is not right.

bent C ? bent housing ? seems way to frequent

something is not right.

bent C ? bent housing ? seems way to frequent

I don't think so on the C/housing.

I had a bent (and broken) C. I broke two outer knuckles, but the balljoints still held up fine.

I think if anything you'd see it at tire, not at the balljoint.

Back