• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Options for tranny cooler replacement lines?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
So I had to replace the upper trans cooler line when I replaced the water pump this weekend, it kinked when I tried to remove it from the radiator, replaced with new Dorman lines. On the way to work yesterday(about half way/45 min from work/home), the quick connect right by the harmonic balancer failed and dumped my transmission fluid all over the road. Hauled it back to my house, replaced the line again, started it up, and immediately started dumping tranny fluid from the same, new connection(both male and female lines of the connection are new). Now I'm done with trying Dorman, I'm thinking either Mopar replacement or going down by the Speedway and having a braided stainless line made up. Anyone have any other options? I'm perfectly fine replacing with one line from trans to radiator instead of one with the quick connect, just eliminates a potential leak in the future.

I found the Dorman lines to be complete junk. I use Mopar replacements. The Mopar lines are made of heavier gauge material and the quick disconnects work perfectly. On both my XJ's, the lines weep from the same place - on the driver's side of the oil pan where it switches to the flexible rubber.

If I ever have to mess with those lines again, I'll go with the Pushloc lines from Jegs. Finding an M13 fitting that will extend out far enough to tighten down into the AW4 has been my issue for not just doing it and calling it done. I took my radiator out of the loop when I went external cooler so that end is just barbed anyway.

GrimmJeeper did a thread on running non factory lines.
My setup is not exactly the same, but I use earls m14x1.5 to AN-6 adapters at the trans. An-6 to barbed 45deg adapter fittings and bulk hose to an aftermarket cooler. But running hardlines on the along the frame rail is better. And bulk soft line where you need it.

I'm lucky enough that Earls Performance Plumbing is only about a half an hour drive from me, they've made a few parts for me in the past, including a new clutch line for my 89 MJ. If the hard lines/soft lines need to stay where they are, so be it. The best thing to do then would be take both ends of the line down to Earls, cut the rubber line and quick connect out, and replace with a stainless section permanently connecting the two.

I would like to eliminate the quick connect at the transmission too, but I haven't had any issues with that one YET....

Last edited:
Back