• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped TB mounting screw. Would this fix work??

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I've over torqued and stripped one of the 4 holes that bolts go in to secure the TB to the intake on my 96.
Helicoil kit is too expensive, so I was going to drill out from 6 to 7mm and retap it to 8mm. My wrists both have pins in them though and I have trouble holding anything straight under pressure,especially a tap on a one shot only intake.

My idea is to use some threaded 6mm rod with red loctite or jb weld and screw it in to the intake hole. Let it set up, then use a NUT to tightn that corner down from now on instead of going to a bigger size. Basically I'd turn the hol into a stud instead.
WOULD THAT WORK?
Gotta get to work tonight and pick up kids at school and TB won't go on. Is this a valid fix?

Last edited:
At least link to the other thread you already have about this exact same issue that already has a bunch of responses to it. Drill, tap, insert new bolt and be done. Just do it and move on.

Didn't realize you were in my chapter lol.
Sry I'm short on time (work at 2) and guess I just was trying to reach as many minds as possible.
Also forgot to link.
Would it work though? It's just reversing the attachment method of the fastener and would retain the same size.

Everyone can see the chapter stuff regardless of their chapter. I just use the 'New Posts' link at the top of the forum and see everything happening and ignore what I don't care about.

Back