• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SRW to DRW Hub Swap Quandary...

Stokes

NAXJA Forum User
I've been lurking and learning on here for quite a while and finally decided to make a post. Hopefully someone has some advice that will help myself as well as others... *DISCLAIMER* I have searched the 14-bolt Bible and every build thread I can find but can't find a specific answer.

So my plan is to swap in a SRW 14-bolt using DRW hubs to get close to a 64" WMS to match the narrowed HP 60 I have for the front. All research says this is no problem... so here is the problem: I found a '98 SRW FF and a '99 DRW FF in the junkyard, yanked the hubs off the dually and slapped those monsters on the SRW. The spindle nut doesn't go on far enough with the DRW hubs on the SRW housing.The only thing I can think of is that the SRW hubs had slide-on drums and the DRW did not. This could possibly account for 1/4" or so. This set up COULD be made to work by tacking the key to the spindle nut but I'd rather not do that for the sake of removal at an inopportune time... I can get a full C&C housing for the same money but I'm trying to avoid issues with spring/caliper clearance when I swap to discs. Is this something others have seen or can give me advice/criticism about? I can't figure out how to attach pictures by the way...

Exposed threads with SRW hub and no spindle nut:

view

SRW hub attached minus lock ring:

view

DRW hub attached (no good):

view

DRW exposed threads with no spindle nut:

view

Side view of the 2 hubs:

view

Are you set on 8 lug? If you were to convert to 5-lug with SOLID/SPYNTECH hubs, then it will put you at around 64.75" was.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but that's how my 14 bolt is built. Figured I'd at least mention it.

Well I wouldn't be opposed to that except I already have 8 lug wheels bought and the front is 8 lug. If it comes down to it and I have to rework things I'll definitely keep those in mind, thanks!

98/99 was a change over year I believe with 14b's, along with slide on or pressed on drums. You need a spindle setup that originally had a pressed on drum, and I'm pretty sure all C&C/DRW hubs with pressed on too.

That sort of confirms what I was thinking. I kept the hubs (DRW, pressed on drums) and know where there is a late 70's SRW housing I can try them on. Maybe mixing old parts with new won't cause much headache.

Just to clarify, when the DRW hubs were on the SRW housing/spindle there were no spindle threads exposed making the clip ring unusable.

Thanks for the help!

Back