• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which locker do I do first.

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
Ok 2000 XJ Dana 30 front has a True-track limited slip. Rear 29 spline 8 1/4. With full time Aussie locker. I've made up my mind that it is time to go with selectable lockers front and rear for better on road manners. And yes I can feel the True track in the front . The Aussie locker does hop pretty good on low speed corners. I have some pretty aggressive Hercules Trail digger mud terrain tires. Which to do first is the question. (Side Note of of my wheeling buddies says I should go with a true track in the rear. selectable in the front that's the combo he ran. He said the true trac work better in the rear diff that the front)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My setup is selectable up front & Aussie in the rear (8.8). You're right about the Aussie hopping in the back. Chewed some chunks out of my Swampers when I had them, and not at all cool to drive in wintry conditions. It's got so I can't stand that auto locker back there any more (onroad). And I don't want it chewing up my new tires either. Before winter sets in fully I hope to have selectable in the rear also.

As to your question, I'd do the front first, as suggested by sinat01.

2k XJ here with ARB in front and a No-slip in the rear with excellent drive-ability and Zero "hopping"!
It's been that way for 16yrs, I did rebuild the No-slip last week when I did the disc brake conversion because all the springs were broke(I never noticed it though).

the problem w/ a selectable locker in the front only is if left in the locked mode it makes steering very difficult, also much higher chance of breaking u joints / axle shafts or maybe even that little ring & pinion. if one locker is used put it in the rear, i run a detriot in the rr & a e locker in the frt. 95 % of my off road driving is done w/ the front open.

Ok 2000 XJ Dana 30 front has a True-track limited slip. Rear 29 spline 8 1/4. With full time Aussie locker. I've made up my mind that it is time to go with selectable lockers front and rear for better on road manners. And yes I can feel the True track in the front . The Aussie locker does hop pretty good on low speed corners. I have some pretty aggressive Hercules Trail digger mud terrain tires. Which to do first is the question. (Side Note of of my wheeling buddies says I should go with a true track in the rear. selectable in the front that's the combo he ran. He said the true trac work better in the rear diff that the front)

solid setup as is. IMO i would keep the TT front and choose a rear selectable locker for road manners. The front will turn when needed and bite when needed. curious are you Np231 or 242 transfer case? the rear is usually where ive ever had traction problems on the trail with the 8.25 and lsd. If/when my coin goes to lockers the rear is first and foremost getting a selectable. my wheeling is rockymountain based so steep up and down hill, your needs may vary though any xj driver i feel would appreciate said traction set up be it weather or trail. with that said, again Imo If you want traction for trail lock the rear DO not TT. why spend the money on a device to wait for it to gain traction vs one that gives all you have as soon as its selected. if its for snow TT, done deal.

Last edited:
solid setup as is. IMO i would keep the TT front and choose a rear selectable locker for road manners. The front will turn when needed and bite when needed. curious are you Np231 or 242 transfer case? the rear is usually where ive ever had traction problems on the trail with the 8.25 and lsd. If/when my coin goes to lockers the rear is first and foremost getting a selectable. my wheeling is rockymountain based so steep up and down hill, your needs may vary though any xj driver i feel would appreciate said traction set up be it weather or trail. with that said, again Imo If you want traction for trail lock the rear DO not TT. why spend the money on a device to wait for it to gain traction vs one that gives all you have as soon as its selected. if its for snow TT, done deal.

It originally had a 242 tfc. Had all sorts of driveline vibrations . I tried a hack n tap still had Drivelive vibrations. I work in Paso Robles and Advance Adapters borrowed my 242 to redesign there/Tom Woods slip yoke Eliminatior kit. While it was out one of the guys I work with had a 231 with an advance adapters slip yoke eliminator kit I installed. Drive vibration problem solved.

Automatic locker in the front, selectable in the rear.

Front automatic locker will be generally invisible in 2wd, rear selectable can be turned off for street or tight turns.

I am spool/spool with an Atlas. Guess which end I want driving for tight turns? Hint, it is the front. Front pulling works better than rear pushing.

Back