• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick axle vent question

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ, 8.25 rear axle, stock everything...

I noticed over the summer that I had some grease and crud built-up around the axle vent block on the top of the driver's side axle tube. Maybe a month or so ago, I cleaned everything and put a ring of RTV black around the axle tube vent hole. But this last week while replacing my fuel pump, I noticed the axle tube was wet again. What I'm wondering is there supposed to be any sort of gasket or sealant between this vent block and the axle tube or is everything supposed to go together "dry"? Anybody ever run into leaks from this area before? If so how did you fix it?

It should have a rubber vent hose attached to the nipple that runs to a high location to keep high water from getting into the axle. That rubber hose should attach very, VERY snugly.

Yeah, I saw that. The hose terminated some where in the side of one of the unibody "frame rails." The other end of the hose ran to this block that had a sort of hollow bleeder bolt for the vent line and also had some steel brake line running through it. What I'm wondering is, should there be some sort of gasket, crush washer, whatever between that block and the axle tube?

Almost sounds like you are talking about the rear brake line T and not the vent on the axle? Got any photos?

No gasket is used on 8.25/D35 axles. Is the breather vent at the frame rail clogged? Does the soft rubber line secure tightly to the hollow bolt?

No gasket is used on 8.25/D35 axles. Is the breather vent at the frame rail clogged? Does the soft rubber line secure tightly to the hollow bolt?

Wondering all that myself. Take off the line at the diff and blow into it to see if it is clogged. If it is I recommend just running a new line up into the engine compartment, go the Jeep dealership, buy the white little top hat breather that the front diff uses (run about $4), and call it a day.

Almost sounds like you are talking about the rear brake line T and not the vent on the axle? Got any photos?

Looks like this-

c825_brake.jpg

Not a T-junction, the brake line just runs through that little block. The bolt that the vent line attaches to is hollow like a brake bleeder screw, but also does double duty to to secure the block to the axle tube. I'll check the line for restrictions and scrape the RTV off. What I was wondering at first was if there was supposed to be a gasket between that block and the axle tube...

i usually ignore tiny seeps, I call it rust prevention. A very little gear oil stain can look like a lot, but rarely is.

Like the guys said, make sure the vent is open and the heat expanding oil isn't building pressure and ignore it.

No gasket that I know of. If the leak is at the RTV'd-rubber hose, I would replace the hose so it seals properly to avoid sucking high water into the rear end gear box.

If your worried about the seeping just get some thread sealer!

Back