• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel stud thread engagement

Lurch1980

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

I've searched some what I'm having trouble finding a clear answer to my question.

I did a KJ rear disc brake swap on my 99 XJ (8.25). I used the XJ front wheel studs on the rear for this swap.

My question is if I have enough wheel stud/lug nut thread engagement for off roading?

The lugnuts have .597" of engagement in my setup. I know 1.5 times the diameter is preferred (.750" in my case - the studs are 1/2 diameter), but I've found people saying that the diameter of the wheel stud is the minimum on other sites.

For example I found this, but I'm not sure if that is good enough for wheeling.

Also, while we are on this subject, the general rule that we use is to make sure there’s at least 1/2-inch of thread engagement for 1/2-inch and 12mm diameter lug studs, and 5/8-inch engagement for 9/16-inch and 14mm diameter lug studs.

From
http://www.tirereview.com/staying-safer-knowing-lug-nuts-can-help-avoid-costly-wheel-off-accidents/

I'm heading out to Moab in a week and I'm not sure if I should be changing the studs again before I go.

What do you guys think? is .597" enough or is my wheel going to come off flying into a school bus full of nuns and orphans?

Thanks.

I believe your are overthinking this. Run it.

I just did this swap, I used the factory rear studs, the front studs are longer but have to large of a "knurl". I have located a longer stud with the proper siize- Dorman 610-260.

Nice, thanks for the info! I'm going to order some for later, but I think I've missed window of opportunity to change them before heading to Moab on Friday.

If you already used front's(.625" knurl), you may not be able use stock rear's again(.618" knurl). Don't know how you even got them in!
Since I put new Yukon axles in at the time, I called Yukon to confirm this.

Last edited:
Ah, yeah. I have another set of shafts so I can use the right studs in those and switch them out. Now I'm starting to regret the lunchbox locker, that thing is a pain in the rear to deal with when swapping shafts.

Back