• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

odd steering wheel question

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone removed the leather wrap from a steering wheel? i only ask because one of mine is oozing black goop when it gets warm inside the jeep. i was wondering if it would be more like the non wrapped ones or would it just be ruined?

I had a car that did that to me, I just wrapped the wheel in paracord. Didn't change the size to much. A company wheelskins also makes a cover that people like alot but they are expensive.

Late model are a snap to change. Early model has that stupid GM thing going on. Never had to mess with an H.O.

Last edited:
Late model are a snap to change. Early model has that stupid GM thing going on. Never had to mess with an H.O.
Early steering wheels are easy to change. No worries of air bag blowing up in your face either.

Wrap it in electrical tape and go to eBay and order a stitch on wheel cover. Don't remove the leather that's left just tape over it then cover it.

Years ago, the upper half of the leather cover on the steering wheel on my '98 XJ was
splitting and crumbling off in bits and chunks. I removed the rest of the leather (it was
all coming loose anyway) and then wrapped the exposed parts of the steering wheel
with bicycle handle bar tape in order to restore it to the original thickness.

I then covered the whole thing with a stitch on cover. The wheel is fatter and more
padded, but it feels better to me and I can grip the wheel all day without my fingers
getting tired.

Back