• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Main seal and Evaporator - That was fun!

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
'Finally got fed up with all the little niggling problems with Bone and went to work on it. Funny, AC has been problematic for years, and it was the heater core that drove me over the edge,.. in Arizona.

The list:
Rear main seal - leaking
Timing chain cover seal leaking
Oil filter adapter seal - slow seep
Front brakes - pulsing/warped rotor
Evaporator core - slow leak
Heater core - started steaming up the windshield.

In addition it got a water pump and a harmonic balancer because they were off, and the old ones were,.. old.

I think that's all the hard jobs(and one easy one). 'Got them all out of the way in one fell swoop.

Thoughts on the scene:

Factory service manual is invaluable, but hard to use until you figure out the method to the madness.

Evap core wasn't as hard as everyone makes it seem. Mildly time consuming.

I found it easier to pull the steering column then to leave it in.

If I had to do it on another XJ, it would get a new heater core even if it wasn't leaking.

Heater core came with the foam seals, evap core requires re-use of the OEM bits and pieces.

I really wish I hadn't mounted anything electrical to the plastic dash covers. Nothing like having to un-wire all the cool add-ons to get the dash cover off.

I will never get the hang of removing the rear main seal from the block. At least I didn't score the crank on this one. Brass punches are your friend.

Somebody should make a tool to pull the timing cover seal with the timing cover in place. Mechanics would pay through the nose for that tool, it would take hours off the job.

Snap-on make one hell of a 3/8th drive ratchet - 2 foot cheater bar to remove the oil filter adapter housing torx bolt. I was really surprised that worked and didn't strip the ratchet.

How do I keep tearing up oil pans? I really don't wheel that hard,.. I think?

12 stud bolts and 3 line hangers on the oil pan,.. What else did Chrysler think they were going to bolt to the oil pan?

A fel-pro short block gasket set is 3 dollars more then a fel-pro oil pan gasket. Go figure.

Back