• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help choosing an Old Man Emu lift...

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
HI ALLI am trying to sort out the lowest center of gravity I can get with 31's on stock 5-spoke wheels. I do want it to be functional as I love going camping off the beaten path. Don't mind adjusting steering, but don't want to chop anything up.

Is 2" doable or do I need to go 3"?

Here are the two kit's I am considering.

2" OME Kit

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/products/old-man-emu-2-suspension-kit-jeep-xj-cherokee-1984-01

3" OME Kit

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/products/old-man-emu-3-suspension-lift-kit-jeep-xj-cherokee-1984-01

Thank you
!

Both my brother's 2000 and my 1997 Country have the 2" OME suspensions.
Both kits use the same rear leaf spring.
To lower the lift to 2-2 1/2', you need to disassemble the spring packs and remove the third leaf. It will sit near 4", with all the leaves intact.
Make sure to get the spring bushings.
On both of our XJs, the shackles smack the frame, at full compression. Longer shackles eliminate the problem but raise the lift.
The ride isn't bad but the 5100 shocks are very stiff, for my lightweight 1997 XJ. They probably will be replaced with something less harsh.
At 2- 2 1/2"s, if a 97+, you will probably want a small transfer case drop, to prevent rear driveshaft vibrations.

31"s will fit but will hit the LCAs, at full lock. To fix, adjust the steering limits, change to aftermarket LCAs or add wheel spacers.
Minor trimming of the fenders may be required. The 1997+ body have less clearance than the earlier models.
The bump stops can be adjusted to keep the tires out of the fenders but can reduce suspension travel if not done correctly.

Good info my LazyXJ, I'll add on about my 2000.

I run the OME rear springs WITH the extra leaf removed, and STILL sat at 3.25" over stock. I added a 3/4" rusty's shackle to stop hitting the frame also.
I have Bilstein 5100s and love them - to me they are not harsh at all; interstates are plush actually.

I installed 31x10.5r15 on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing and was still tearing up my untrimmed flares at 2.5" and hitting them at 3" while daily driving. I like my factory flare look so I did the minimal amount of trimming and set up bump stops a little more aggressively. They still touched the stock LCAs on the left side however.

I am now at 4" and with 31s it's perfect (for me).

Best set up for 2" I have used was some coil spacers up front, a cut down main leaf from a Ford Ranger as an add-a-leaf in the rear, JK Sahara shocks, and 30s on stock wheels.

Last edited:
I have Bilstein 5100s and love them - to me they are not harsh at all; interstates are plush actually.t

I'm spoiled with the ride of my 2001 XJ, with Bilstein 5165 shocks all around.
They are a world apart from the 5100s, especially with our screwed up roads.

If the 1997 XJ was heavier, the 5100s would ride better, but I'm keeping it light and near stock for use as a DD and to tow behind our motorhome.
The 2001 is the off road machine.

Thanks guys. This is a 1991 Cherokee.

The end goal is an OEM+ sort of build. really hoping to not chop up the Jeep.

To fit the 31's, would I need to trim the plastic flare or the metal fender itself? And if so where would it be trimmed?

Would I need to do any trimming with the 3" kit?

Wheels I am using below... Just the standard wheels.

184620d1365006253t-selling-stock-92-xj-wheels-image-3856841812.jpg

Back