• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj runs way better now. Grounding?

Hoodie ninja

NAXJA Forum User
I have slowly been working on my 90 xj 4.0 5 speed. Replaced the fuel pump, then a few month ago the injectors to the upgrade units. It really livened it up, but after putting 31s on and retaining stock gears (3.55) this thing really lacks in the power section.
Everything seems to make a little bit of difference. Then i noticed that both motor mounts are completely shot out. I ordered some brown dogs and installed them. They feel great.

This past weekend I decide that i am going to attempt to clean up the grounding from the back of the engine to the frame. It is too far back so i went and grabbed a couple of ground cables and ran one from the battery to the engine and one from the engine to the frame.
And now after driving it, it feels like its gained 30hp.

Is that possible?
Not the 30hp gain from grounding, but whatever it may be?
Hotter spark, injectors opening and closing, fuel pressure?
I'm at a loss?
I still plan on a gear swap in a month or two (4.56) but i have heard over and over that these things have horrible ground issues.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The Renix Jeeps really, really, REALLY love clean grounds. Check out Cruiser's Renix tips about refreshing the grounds. There are several under the hood. The one from the head to the firewall you spoke of, the battery ground cable should go from the battery to a stud on the block at the oil dipstick. You may also consider adding a direct ground from the TPS to the ground at the firewall. I redid all my grounds and add a direct ground to the firewall and TPS. Really does make a big difference.

Back