• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line difference going to 1987 D44

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 XJ that's getting a 1987 XJ D44. The brake line and breather setup is different. The 1987 XJ D44 has a separate breather that appears to threaded or pressed into the axle. The brake line is held down with a small 1/4-20 or metric similar bolt. Since I have no desire to change or repurchase brake lines, I am tempted to drill and tap the axle to accept the newer style brake line/breather assembly. Then I can cap off, or remove the old breather and fill the hole with weld. I am wondering what others have done and what extended brake line parts are available for this style (part numbers). The D44 is out of the vehicle and on jack stands completely empty, getting cleaned up, painted, gears, and locker. So I'm not terribly concerned about drilling and welding.

I will plug mine with a bolt.

I went from a 1999XJ Dana 35 to a 1987 XJ Dana 44.

I used this thread to help me make the change.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

FWIW, I did move the ABS sensors to the Dana 44 and 40,000 miles later it still works.

I have a 1997 XJ that's getting a 1987 XJ D44. The brake line and breather setup is different. The 1987 XJ D44 has a separate breather that appears to threaded or pressed into the axle. The brake line is held down with a small 1/4-20 or metric similar bolt. Since I have no desire to change or repurchase brake lines, I am tempted to drill and tap the axle to accept the newer style brake line/breather assembly. Then I can cap off, or remove the old breather and fill the hole with weld. I am wondering what others have done and what extended brake line parts are available for this style (part numbers). The D44 is out of the vehicle and on jack stands completely empty, getting cleaned up, painted, gears, and locker. So I'm not terribly concerned about drilling and welding.

I did ,what you are going to do. Plugged the hole.Tap for new vent/hold down.I had an 8.25,so I shortened the end of the vent(inside axle tube) so the lube would not blow out or hit the axle shaft.
When you have the part you will understand.

I went from a 1999XJ Dana 35 to a 1987 XJ Dana 44.

I used this thread to help me make the change.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

FWIW, I did move the ABS sensors to the Dana 44 and 40,000 miles later it still works.
After reviewing that thread, I think I did relocate the distribution block to the vent hole, and plan to add another bracket using the existing hole.

Going completely off memory, the vent hole may already be sized close enough for the 7/16-20 tap.

Back