• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power lock fuses keep frying

A short circuit or excessive resistance.

Correction...excessive current, not resistance.

Most likely a shorted winding in the actuation solenoid. Measure across a good door, then again on the bad door. If the bad door is much less then you have your culprit. The short could be intermittent and a bummer to track down.

What year?

Could be a broken wire in the loom bundle that goes between the door and the body. Typically, speakers will fail with the constant wire bending at the door. Perhaps your power lock wire took a hit instead.

Test the wiring from the door lock, to the inside of the cab by the kick panel; to determine if one of the door lock wires is broken....

Unless that "broken" wire is actually shorting to ground or 12v, it would not cause a blown fuse.

If nothing else, go around and unplug all the solenoids and verify nothing blows, then connect one at a time.

Could be a broken wire in the loom bundle that goes between the door and the body. Typically, speakers will fail with the constant wire bending at the door. Perhaps your power lock wire took a hit instead.

Test the wiring from the door lock, to the inside of the cab by the kick panel; to determine if one of the door lock wires is broken....

Possible but i have soldered any cracks i had found in the wiring a while ago when speakers were an issue, not that more cracks couldnt develope.

how do i go about testing the wiring? sorry but im terribly lacking knowledge in this kinda work

Unless that "broken" wire is actually shorting to ground or 12v, it would not cause a blown fuse.

If nothing else, go around and unplug all the solenoids and verify nothing blows, then connect one at a time.

Thanks Tom,

Do I unplug these with the car running or off/ does it matter? and do i add a new fuse before im to pull solenoids?

Power off, disconnect all lock solenoids, replace fuse.

Power on, reconnect one lock solenoid, cycle power lock button, check fuse. Repeat the process until you find the bad solenoid.

Report your findings.

Did you check the wires in the boot between the body and liftgate? Those are the ones that were shorting out in my wife's 01.

yes i did check that boot. Everything that i found a crack in i stripped and soldered clean wire back together.

As hypoid suggested Ill have to try pulling the lock actuators one by one this weekend and see if i can find on that is bad.
When i replace the fuse all power locks will work for maybe a day or two but eventually it will fry the fuse.

Back