• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plan change ha...shock?

chemsolder

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched just couldn't find a ballpark length. Lot of back and forth measure first...I just want close for street driving/fine tuining cause wife dd's it more than her SUV.

Original plan was a 2" budget boost for the time being, that flew out the door yesterday. Wound up with a pair of 5.5" springs a transfer case with a sye and a driveshaft. I plan on bpe eliminators and stud eliminators, hoping to run the same shock front and rear if possible. Ideas on ballpark length?

The rear will be lifted with a 2" shackle and a bastard pack, possibly a shacle relocation bracket too. I need to finish assembling parts and get it all done, hoping to come up with an off the autostore shelf shock option, that way I can fine tune everything before dropping $80a shock. Ideas are welcome!

Measuring tape, yard stick, steel ruler, etc. You have been searching for the wrong terms. Try searching for "how to measure for shocks".

26.7-16.2 rear 27.8-17.2 front. These numbers are from an off the shelf kit. My plan is bpe's so I am guessing an inch off the rears and 2" off the fronts, this means ford ranger rear shocks may be a good starting point at $15 each to work out the kinks they are just over 25" extended and have just over 10" of travel. Like I said not the ideal end shock but a temporary fitment device, valving may or may not be good for this application.

The hope is to assemble parts put it all in and be back on the road in a weekend. Then measure and upgrade shocks as needed.

Measuring tape, yard stick, steel ruler, etc. You have been searching for the wrong terms. Try searching for "how to measure for shocks".

He's right. Best chance is to measure after everything is installed to get the best shock for your setup

I don't know much about this part, but if you put a shock that doesn't extend as far as your suspension will allow, you'll need limit straps. Even that 7/10 - 8/10 of an inch is enough to make your axle hang on your shock and rip it right off the frame, right? And your travel isn't enough so you'll have to bump stop for these shocks too. Why not just set up your bump stops/limit straps for your rig first and get the right shocks the first time since driving around on the wrong shocks doesn't do anything to help you determine the right shocks.

Back