• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where the rubber meets the road...

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
So Im wanting some opinions, I recently got a set of 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s What tire pressure does everyone run? these are 6 ply and the tire shop put them at 24lbs, I was gonna run 30lbs but I figured id get some opinions first. The tires don't really bulge at all at 24lbs

IMHO mid 20's psi is more correct than 30 psi. Performing a chalk test will get you to within a few psi of the proper pressure.

Yep, do a chalk test! When I ran them it was about 25psi, I rarely air up after a event but just drove it home!

so my dumb question then, how do you do a chalk test? from the looks of some of the soft mud in the driveway the tire is pretty even, but I know that's not a good way to judge, the 235/75R15 Kelly safari TSRs I had on it I ran at 32-34 PSI and 15-20PSI on the trail, but they arnt nearly as aggressive, and has anyone had their KM2s flatspot?

Go to an area for smooth flat concrete of blacktop. Inflate your tires to the pressure you think is right. Rub a line of chalk across the tread of your tires. Now drive forward for a few hundred feet or so. Stop and check the chalk mark on the tires. If the chalk is worn only in the middle the pressure is too high, is it is worn off only on the sides then it is too low. If worn off evenly across the tire the pressure is correct. The pressure for the larger than stock tires will typically be less than the factory specifications.

Remember that the tires need to warm up before you test. Heat will cause the air to expand and thus increase the pressure in the tire. This difference may be negligible but not necessarily.

I ran a set of KM2s, in the same size, on my month long trip to Colorado last summer. For the street, I aired then to 18-20 PSI and in the dirt and rocks, down to 12.
The sidewalls are very stiff and do not flex much, even when aired down.
Great tire in the rocks and mud, not so good for fast driving on washboard where the rear tires will occasionally completely break loose, in hard cornering.

I changed to KO2s last winter and really like the smoother, quieter ride, better handling and a snow-flake rating. I don't like how fast they are wearing.
I need two or three sets of wheels and tires, so the right combination is always available.

Back