• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One tire spinning the other not

Tonybeirut

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys.
Departing from stop i feel a hop after 1 or 2 meters with a small bang (like bong). It happens 1 time each after stopping and Departing and When It Happens the soeedometer Jumps From Zero To Around 40 Kmh.

I lifted my Jeep at the rear both wheels off the ground about 1cm, put Drive, looked at the driver tire, this one spins continously at around 2 Kmh, I think this is normal.

The passenger side tire doesn't spin at start, than spins a little bit but slower than the driver side one, then spins very slow in reverse. And it repeats this symptoms in different order.

If I press the gas pedal the driver side tire spins 1st then the passenger tire follows and the speedometer sudenly Jumps from Zero To 40kmh.

Im in 4.5 Inch lift , 4. 56 Gears. Arb lockers.

Any Ideas please What it Might Be?

Year of Jeep?
Type of rear axle?
Locker?
Type?

Year of Jeep?
Type of rear axle?
Locker?
Type?

1994. Auto trans. Np242. Chrysler 8.25. 4.56 gears. Arb lockers. 4.5 inch lift.

And while the driver side tire spins and the passenger one doesn't, I can spin it back and forth with my hand.

Last edited:
It's open and I'm in 2wd mode.
And while the driver side tire spins and the passenger one doesn't, I can spin it back and forth with my hand.

so you suspect the locker isnt functioning correctly?

with the engine off, locker unlocked, and the tires off the ground, put the trans in gear... does spinning one tire cause the other tire to spin the opposite way? now lock the locker, you shouldnt be able to spin anything at all.

now, with the engine off and the locker unlocked, put the T case in nuetral. jack up the left side and leave the right side on the ground. does turning the tire cause the drive shaft to spin? set the left side down, pick up the right side, and repeat the process... does turning the tire cause the drive shaft to spin? locking the locker with the t case in neutral and only one tire off the ground should make it impossible to turn the tire off the ground.

verify that the locker is functioning properly. you should also open up the cover and take a look at the fluid, it will tell a story as well. if it is fine... you may just have a wheel bearing spinning more freely than the other and the open diff is just doing its job. but the small bang is cause for a bit of an alarm.

What you are describing is fairly normal behavior of an open diff (noise aside). Try what VA has suggested. It's possible your noise is something totally unrelated.

so you suspect the locker isnt functioning correctly?

with the engine off, locker unlocked, and the tires off the ground, put the trans in gear... does spinning one tire cause the other tire to spin the opposite way? now lock the locker, you shouldnt be able to spin anything at all.

now, with the engine off and the locker unlocked, put the T case in nuetral. jack up the left side and leave the right side on the ground. does turning the tire cause the drive shaft to spin? set the left side down, pick up the right side, and repeat the process... does turning the tire cause the drive shaft to spin? locking the locker with the t case in neutral and only one tire off the ground should make it impossible to turn the tire off the ground.

verify that the locker is functioning properly. you should also open up the cover and take a look at the fluid, it will tell a story as well. if it is fine... you may just have a wheel bearing spinning more freely than the other and the open diff is just doing its job. but the small bang is cause for a bit of an alarm.

I'm at the garage now.
Engine off. Drive mode=

spining driver side tire forward , passenger side spins half a turn then doesn't spin. If spining driver side backwards, passenger side spins opposite way.

Spining passsenger side forward or backwards makes the opposite side spin opposite way.

With locker on, both tires spin same direction.

Drive shaft test with tcase on N: drive shaft spining.
Locker test one wheel off the ground at a time: impossible to spin the tire.

The banging may be bad bushings on the shackles, lca or uca. Mine does the same noise and the stock suspension is completely toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found 2 more things.
Rear passenger side sway bar lower bushing is worn, I can push it down with my finger.

With the rear tires off the ground, in engaged Drive mode up to 40kmh then I press the brakes, the driver side stop spinning at once, the passenger side keep spinning until I push the brakes further down.

I have installed new rebuild kit + new brakes + new cylinders 2 weeks ago.

When driving normally, pressing the brake pedal makes the same problem as when I tested them with the tires off the ground.

Maybe it has smthng to do with the deep bang I'm feeling and hearing when Departing from a stop?

there could be some drum brake hardware rolling around in the drum.

It's possible but I think you would notice the sound. It's like change in the dryer. Did you clean the seats for the shoes? They could be skipping along them but that makes more squeaking than banging. Lose hardware? The uneven breaking points to the adjustment wheel. Try to adjust them and see if the breaks become even. While you are in there check the axle seals and wheel bearing for play.

It's possible but I think you would notice the sound. It's like change in the dryer. Did you clean the seats for the shoes? They could be skipping along them but that makes more squeaking than banging. Lose hardware? The uneven breaking points to the adjustment wheel. Try to adjust them and see if the breaks become even. While you are in there check the axle seals and wheel bearing for play.

Yeah it's exactly the sound of the dryer changing rotation direction...

Back