• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch lift rear suspension setup, opinions/ ideas?

smallredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys! I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Anyways, here's some backstory to my dilemma, I've had a 2.5/3 inch Rough Country aal for the past year and it sucks, no flex and really bad ride. I recently bent my upper leafs in both packs, so time for an upgrade. Id like to stay between 2.5-3.5 inches of lift, but I want more flex and a better ride. Based on some research I've done about XJ suspension geometry and such, this is what I've come up with:

-RE2705 boomerang shackles, about 1.5 inches of lift
-RC shackle relocation brackets, between 1-1.5 inches of lift and fixes my crappy shackle angle I have now
-Standard duty stock replacement springs, no lift, either Dorman or General Spring...

So will this setup work? I know it will give me the lift I am looking for but will my flexibility and ride quality also improve? Based on what I know, proper shackle angle mixed with a higher clearance shackle, and a set of soft, stock spring rate leaf packs should give good flex right? Also I have proper length shocks, no rear sway bar, and good bump stops, so that will not be an issue. If you guys could let me know what you think of my idea, or if you have any better solutions I would love to know. Thanks!

First think I would do is install the relocation brackets and see if that is enough for you. I know with the HD Offroad ones I use, you can add lift or keep it the same. Just fixing that angle and allowing the shackle to rotate will take some of the load off your springs and make the ride much better. May not need anything else after this so you could save some cash that way.

I'm running d150 van springs with IRO boomerang shackles. . Full packs. I really like them. Ride good and flex good. Longer on the rear half so it corrects the shackle angle. This setup meets me I'd say 3 inches total

But I also moved the axle back 1.5"

Last edited:
I've never heard of using the d150 springs but that's not a bad idea. Did moving the axle back cause any adverse affects as far as drive line vibes and such? I don't really have the time/ money to install an sye and extended driveshaft as of right now...

I've never heard of using the d150 springs but that's not a bad idea. Did moving the axle back cause any adverse affects as far as drive line vibes and such? I don't really have the time/ money to install an sye and extended driveshaft as of right now...

There is more to this whole setup and not a lot of info out there. Couple points I'll separate out.

First, D150 springs are same length center pin to front mount. But 2" longer in the rear. This will correct the 90 degree shackle angle on the stock setups. Also Keeps axle wrap away. Since front is shorter than rear of the leaf. This spring combined with a 2" lift shackles netted me a bit over 3" but loaded levels out and rides great.

Second, I redrilled the leaf spring pad to the front square hole which just happens to be 1.5" from stock location. I did this to keep the tire from rubbing the front in the fender opening and cutting tires. ( this is not necessary to run the d150 springs.

Third, to run the spring length that far in the rear will take some modifications or the shackles will hit the body behind the shackle box and stop travel. You don't want that to be your bumpstop. I just cut that area out when I built my
Bumper knowing I would need it later.

Fourth, I had vibs bad. I couldn't run the stock driveshaft at all in the rear. But mine is a 92. Early vs late models you can run 3 inch in some not on others. Just depends what you get real world results. The stretch had no affect on vibs. Only lift height as that changes the angles. I'm running a stock XJ front shaft but it's to short really.

Lastly, my jeep is heavy. Full frame plates. Tank tuck with box and skid plate. Thicker floors. Heavy tires. Heavy bumpers. Plus gear. And even with the added weight I still lift a rear tire on an rti ramp every time.
This is because of the overload spring in the van leaf pack. I currently run no
Rear bumpstop and I still have not inverted a leaf spring yet. But once on the overload it will lift the opposite tire almost every time. Keeps from ruining leaf springs but when showing off the flex on a big rock it gets a bit unstable because of the spring rate. If I were concerned with it I like just recommend pulling the overload spring before installing.

Hope that was not to much info. I have much more but that should get you started on if it's a viable option for you or not.

Hey guys! I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Anyways, here's some backstory to my dilemma, I've had a 2.5/3 inch Rough Country aal for the past year and it sucks, no flex and really bad ride. I recently bent my upper leafs in both packs, so time for an upgrade. Id like to stay between 2.5-3.5 inches of lift, but I want more flex and a better ride. Based on some research I've done about XJ suspension geometry and such, this is what I've come up with:

-RE2705 boomerang shackles, about 1.5 inches of lift
-RC shackle relocation brackets, between 1-1.5 inches of lift and fixes my crappy shackle angle I have now
-Standard duty stock replacement springs, no lift, either Dorman or General Spring...

So will this setup work? I know it will give me the lift I am looking for but will my flexibility and ride quality also improve? Based on what I know, proper shackle angle mixed with a higher clearance shackle, and a set of soft, stock spring rate leaf packs should give good flex right? Also I have proper length shocks, no rear sway bar, and good bump stops, so that will not be an issue. If you guys could let me know what you think of my idea, or if you have any better solutions I would love to know. Thanks!

I would venture to guess your terrible ride is caused by a poor shackle angle and not by the springs. What is the angle setting a ride height? Are you after a better ride or more flex? You want flex or you want it to be stable off camber?

Are you after a better ride or more flex? You want flex or you want it to be stable off camber?

Please elaborate. I've been away for quite a while and since then shackle angle has become a thing.

There is more to this whole setup and not a lot of info out there. Couple points I'll separate out.

First, D150 springs are same length center pin to front mount. But 2" longer in the rear. This will correct the 90 degree shackle angle on the stock setups. Also Keeps axle wrap away. Since front is shorter than rear of the leaf. This spring combined with a 2" lift shackles netted me a bit over 3" but loaded levels out and rides great.

Second, I redrilled the leaf spring pad to the front square hole which just happens to be 1.5" from stock location. I did this to keep the tire from rubbing the front in the fender opening and cutting tires. ( this is not necessary to run the d150 springs.

Third, to run the spring length that far in the rear will take some modifications or the shackles will hit the body behind the shackle box and stop travel. You don't want that to be your bumpstop. I just cut that area out when I built my
Bumper knowing I would need it later.

Fourth, I had vibs bad. I couldn't run the stock driveshaft at all in the rear. But mine is a 92. Early vs late models you can run 3 inch in some not on others. Just depends what you get real world results. The stretch had no affect on vibs. Only lift height as that changes the angles. I'm running a stock XJ front shaft but it's to short really.

Lastly, my jeep is heavy. Full frame plates. Tank tuck with box and skid plate. Thicker floors. Heavy tires. Heavy bumpers. Plus gear. And even with the added weight I still lift a rear tire on an rti ramp every time.
This is because of the overload spring in the van leaf pack. I currently run no
Rear bumpstop and I still have not inverted a leaf spring yet. But once on the overload it will lift the opposite tire almost every time. Keeps from ruining leaf springs but when showing off the flex on a big rock it gets a bit unstable because of the spring rate. If I were concerned with it I like just recommend pulling the overload spring before installing.

Hope that was not to much info. I have much more but that should get you started on if it's a viable option for you or not.

oops I quoted myself again lol, my answers above, sorry I'm still new at this!

I would venture to guess your terrible ride is caused by a poor shackle angle and not by the springs. What is the angle setting a ride height? Are you after a better ride or more flex? You want flex or you want it to be stable off camber?

Well its kind of a two part thing. part one is my shackle angle is 90 degrees at ride height, so it is very poorly effecting both my rear flex and ride comfort. Part two is my rear leaf packs. The RC 2.5 inch aal is very very stiff. This is also negatively effecting flex and ride comfort I'm sure. But the main problem with my current packs is the upper leaf (the one that connects the pack to the frame rail and the shackle) has bent around the aal due too is stiffness (I can post a picture for better explanation if you need me too). Because of this I am looking to get relocation brackets and a new set of shackles and leaf packs to fix the issues I'm currently having with both flex and ride quality.

Please elaborate. I've been away for quite a while and since then shackle angle has become a thing.

A more flat leaf spring with a shackle at a right angle will offer the most stable and readable setup off camber. But a poor ride.

The more flex in a leaf and travel in a shackle can cause it to unload at times you don't want it to. But with a better ride.

Big lifts and lots of flex us to be all the rage. I'm more lcog setups. It's more stable.

Ktmracer had the best write up on suspension setups you'll find.

Last edited:
A more flat leaf spring with a shackle at a right angle will offer the most stable and readable setup off camber.

The more flex in a leaf and travel in a shackle can cause it to unload at times you don't want it to.

Big lifts and lots of flex us to be all the rage. I'm more lcog setups. It's more stable.

Ktmracer had the best write up on suspension setups you'll find.

This is why I was thinking about using stock springs along with a ext. shackle and relocation bracket, because stock XJ springs are pretty flat by default if I'm not mistaking

Well its kind of a two part thing. part one is my shackle angle is 90 degrees at ride height, so it is very poorly effecting both my rear flex and ride comfort. Part two is my rear leaf packs. The RC 2.5 inch aal is very very stiff. This is also negatively effecting flex and ride comfort I'm sure. But the main problem with my current packs is the upper leaf (the one that connects the pack to the frame rail and the shackle) has bent around the aal due too is stiffness (I can post a picture for better explanation if you need me too). Because of this I am looking to get relocation brackets and a new set of shackles and leaf packs to fix the issues I'm currently having with both flex and ride quality.

I understand your problem. But with any leaf if you flex it past flat. Or just a bit inverted you will more than likely bend the main leaf and be in the same situation. It sounds to me as if your bump stop setup is incorrect. It should have limited leaf travel to flat. The other part you are correct on. Your bending your weak main leaf over a very thick stiff AAL. I would never recommend this for any actual use. Just mall crawlers.

If I wasn't so thrifty I'd have bought deavers.

This is why I was thinking about using stock springs along with a ext. shackle and relocation bracket, because stock XJ springs are pretty flat by default if I'm not mistaking

Relocations I think are a good idea. My next setup I'll be trying this. Stock
Springs won't last long.

Id make a mild 2" AAL spring pack maybe with some S10 leafs or a full length low lift height AAL. Do the shackle relocation, and run Teraflex's revolver shackle, and properly bump stop the up travel. There are differences in opinion on the revolver, "unloading" during off camber. i dont think its an issue IMO. and the added down travel is significant.

I am basically running the setup you are describing... I have the crown replacement "up country" leaf springs and the rough country relocation brackets and am using shackles that are about an inch or two longer then stock. I absolutely love this setup and it rides awesome and I am at about 3" lift. I would recommend starting with the relocation bracket and see how it feels then mess with the springs and shackle if needed.

I understand your problem. But with any leaf if you flex it past flat. Or just a bit inverted you will more than likely bend the main leaf and be in the same situation. It sounds to me as if your bump stop setup is incorrect. It should have limited leaf travel to flat. The other part you are correct on. Your bending your weak main leaf over a very thick stiff AAL. I would never recommend this for any actual use. Just mall crawlers.

If I wasn't so thrifty I'd have bought deavers.

Okay, I may have set the bump stops up wrong, hopefully I can homebrew something to fix that. and I second that on the deavers lol

Back