• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory axle gear ratios

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 xj and a 90 xj and i may swap the 90 axle into the 88. the 88 has what looked like a factory tow package. what are the chances that the gear ratio is different on it? they both have the d35.

I seem to also recall that the axles were supposed to have a metal tag with the gear ratio attached to a diff cover bolt through the use of a hole in the metal tag. My understanding is that the '87 to '90 XJ's with a factory tow package used a Dana 44, so you might want to check into that. The difference between the D35 and D44 is pretty noticeable. If it is a D44, you've got a rare bird on your hands...

Wikipedia seems to have a pretty good break down of the axle ratios for the XJ-
Jeep XJs came in several standard gearing ratios:

• 3.07:1, manual transmission, I6 engine.
  • 3.54:1, automatic transmission, I6 engine with Dana 44 rear differential
  • 3.54:1, manual transmission, I4 engine with Dana 35 rear differential
  • 3.55:1, automatic transmission, I6, V6 engines; manual transmission, I4 engine
  • 3.73:1, automatic transmission, I6, tow package, UpCountry package, 2.5 VM diesel manual
  • 4.10:1, 2.5L I4 engine, V6 manual transmission
  • 4.56:1, automatic transmission, I4, offroad or tow package

it does have a d35 in it. im not sure of the tow packages but i think it would have had the lighter tow package. transmission and transfer case are the same. and they are both laredo's. im betting they are the same ratio.

There should be a tag bolted with two bolts to the cover. Unless a previous owner forgot to put them back.

I'd almost bet they'll be 3:55,

3:73 I know are rare, supposedly there are a few packages after 86 to use them but I never could find one.
spent years trying to find a good rear axel before welding a ford 8.8 in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why invest any time or money in a D35? The other better options won't cost you much more. Why polish a turdy-five?

Back