• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are flywheel bolts reusable?

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
I couldn't find anything Jeep specific when searching for the answer. What I could find, mostly import stuff, it was a toss-up some said no because they are torque to yield and some said they reused them with no issues. What is the general consensus when it comes to the 4.0?

I've re-used flexplate bolts with no issues. I've even cut down flywheel bolts to use as flexplate bolts. Also with no issues. I've put red Loctite on all of these and they haven't budged.

I have had no problem reusing flex plate bolts on the Renix 87-90 XJ. They are not torqued like head bolts.

Check for bottle-necking on the old bolts, but in practice, yes they're re-useable. I put my old ones back in with some Loctite (I think I used the blue stuff since I might remove them again at some point in the future and would prefer not to have to use a torch.) when I did my clutch, no problems so far. I think the actual workshop manual will tell you to replace them, but nobody makes them, they're not TTY, and the stealership wants like $6 a pop for them. Pffft...

Loctite

ARP makes them, and cheaper than the dealer. Not saying you need to replace them. Just sayin.

Heh. Forget about the ARP ones. When I did my clutch, I wanted to get it back on the road as quickly as possible and didn't want to wait another week for speed parts. I doubt any performance or auto parts stores where I live would have them in stock anyways...

Back