• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Humming sound at 50 mph

Tonybeirut

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I had a Humming sound at the front right side at 20mph.
The humming was not continuous when the wheel is rolling , it was at a fraction of a second. (like hum hum hum...)
I swaped a full axle from a junk yard but the Humming started at 50mph instead of 20mph and when cornering to the left up a hill at 50mph the steering wheel starts to shake and I feel like the tire is about to loose.
So I changed to a brand new wheel bearing hub but the problem remained exactly the same.

Anyone had this problem on his xj?
Anyone can instruct me what else to check?

Thank you

Have you moved tires around to verify it isn't a tire or tire/rim combo that is causing or contributing to the noise ??

Shocks good ? U-joints good ?

I've had that type of noise from:
1) a bad shock letting pressure on the tire change
2) tire with an abnormal wear pattern (possibly from 1 above)
3) bent rim causing 2 above
4) u-joint going out
5) incorrect pinion angle
6) rope holding down a load on the roof (pretty sure this ain't your problem..lol)

Most of the times I've had this kind of noise, it is at more than 20 mph tho......so other than giving you things to check....not sure at this point

Have you moved tires around to verify it isn't a tire or tire/rim combo that is causing or contributing to the noise ??

Shocks good ? U-joints good ?

I've had that type of noise from:
1) a bad shock letting pressure on the tire change
2) tire with an abnormal wear pattern (possibly from 1 above)
3) bent rim causing 2 above
4) u-joint going out
5) incorrect pinion angle
6) rope holding down a load on the roof (pretty sure this ain't your problem..lol)

Most of the times I've had this kind of noise, it is at more than 20 mph tho......so other than giving you things to check....not sure at this point

The humming occurs at 50mph and above and on the highway, the jeep is rolling straight. There is no driving wheel vibration here.

The humming + driving wheel vibration occurs at 50mph and above only when cornering uphill to the left.

Tire/rim combo, will change and see if it makes any difference

1) if its a bad shock will it make pressure on the highway when rolling straight?
2)3) a bad rim or a wear tire must make the driving wheel vibrate on highway also, right or wrong? mine only vibrates when left cornering uphill.
4) u-joint might be, ill change that even if the mechanic said it is not deffeted.
5) incorrect pinion angle, will it make the humming/vibration at the right tire or i must feel the vibration under my seat?

6) rope? good idea..ill hang the mechanic guy if he doesnt fix this problem :)

The humming occurs at 50mph and above and on the highway, the jeep is rolling straight. There is no driving wheel vibration here.

The humming + driving wheel vibration occurs at 50mph and above only when cornering uphill to the left.

Tire/rim combo, will change and see if it makes any difference

1) if its a bad shock will it make pressure on the highway when rolling straight?
a bad shock can give issues at any time, but usually after a bump(s) is hit, as it lets the tire oscillate too long

2)3) a bad rim or a wear tire must make the driving wheel vibrate on highway also, right or wrong? mine only vibrates when left cornering uphill.
a slightly bent rim may not be felt in the steering, especially if the tire has been on that rim long enough to have a wear pattern that matches

4) u-joint might be, ill change that even if the mechanic said it is not deffeted.
based on your info, I'd say u-joint is not the problem (unless it does it in 4wd), but check them anyway

5) incorrect pinion angle, will it make the humming/vibration at the right tire or i must feel the vibration under my seat?
same for pinion angle.....hear & feel in the seat more....(hum mainly)

6) rope? good idea..ill hang the mechanic guy if he doesnt fix this problem :) now..now...no hanging needed.....

OK..so hum above 50, and then steering wheel vibe above 50 and when turning left....

When turning left uphill, the drivers front corner of the jeep is unloading, and the passengers side is getting more load, especially in the steering department....what does it do when turning right & uphill ?? same thing, different, nothing ??

a) It could be a bad tire or rim that is only felt when there is less load on the tire, such as when turning left uphill.
- Do any of your tires have a wavy tread (left front specifically)??
- or any tread/sidewall deformity ? specifically on the inside tire tread/sidewall of the left front, and the outside of the right front
- have you checked all your rims/tires on a machine to see if any are bent or have any tread deformities ??
- does it change when you put a different tire/rim combo on that corner ?

b) Are the tie rod ends in good condition ? is there any way they could be moving slightly when the load is taken off them while turning left ?
- normally check ball joints too, but you said you swapped axles, so those should be different

c) Does it do the same thing in 4wd as in 2wd ??
- are you sure it is in 2wd (shifter linkage adjusted correctly ?)

d) Any problems with your steering gearbox ? fluid level ? operate smoothly lock to lock when idling & not moving ?

e) Brake caliper & pad sticking on the left front ? rotor warped ? any signs of brake system problems on that side ?

f) Anything look abnormal under the jeep ?? control arms bushings ?? anything broken/bent/missing ??

Not 100% sure what's causing it, but I've seen the things listed cause similar problems. The hum may be from the right front, but the vibe could be coming from either side.

You said you put in a new axle, and the hum/noise was still there, but @ a different speed...did you put the same tires/rims on the same corner ? did the vibe also occur @ 20 mph when turning with the previous axle ?

If you isolate it to things that were re-used after the axle swap:
shocks
tires/rims
steering components
steering gearbox
driveshaft
braking system
control arms

Things not re-used that could be the culprit, but unlikely due to the axle swap:
axle u-joints
diff fluid level/bearings

Last edited:
OK..so hum above 50, and then steering wheel vibe above 50 and when turning left....

When turning left uphill, the drivers front corner of the jeep is unloading, and the passengers side is getting more load, especially in the steering department....what does it do when turning right & uphill ?? same thing, different, nothing ??

a) It could be a bad tire or rim that is only felt when there is less load on the tire, such as when turning left uphill.
- or any tread/sidewall deformity ? specifically on the inside tire tread/sidewall of the left front, and the outside of the right front
- have you checked all your rims/tires on a machine to see if any are bent or have any tread deformities ??

b) Are the tie rod ends in good condition ? is there any way they could be moving slightly when the load is taken off them while turning left ?
- normally check ball joints too, but you said you swapped axles, so those should be different

d) Any problems with your steering gearbox ? fluid level ? operate smoothly lock to lock when idling & not moving ?

e) Brake caliper & pad sticking on the left front ? rotor warped ? any signs of brake system problems on that side ?

f) Anything look abnormal under the jeep ?? control arms bushings ?? anything broken/bent/missing ??

Not 100% sure what's causing it, but I've seen the things listed cause similar problems. The hum may be from the right front, but the vibe could be coming from either side.

You said you put in a new axle, and the hum/noise was still there, but @ a different speed...did you put the same tires/rims on the same corner ? did the vibe also occur @ 20 mph when turning with the previous axle ?

shocks
tires/rims
steering components
steering gearbox
driveshaft
braking system
control arms

Things not re-used that could be the culprit, but unlikely due to the axle swap:
axle u-joints

OK lots of info thank you.
I swaped an axle shaft from a 96 xj wirh manual trans i bought from a Junk yard with 99k on it. I pulled the shaft and insert it on mine. I dIdnt swap ball joints.

My ball joints (both up and down) are a bit worn when I move them up and down yes. Didn't check left and right.

The old Axle shaft didnt have vibe when cornering left At 20 Or 30 Mph. Just Humming In Intervals.

My Tie Rods Are new (full Zj )

Im Sure Im running 2wd yes. I will Try In 4wd and check.

No Vibe When Right cornering. Only When left Cornering.

Lca Are Rough Country almost 4k on Them. Uca Are Oem And Bushings are New I Changed them 1 Month Ago.

Since I Bought the Jeep my Steering pump was Whinning Left And Right With Leaks (when In park Mode) . I Rebuit It And No more Leaks But Still Whinning When engine Is cold. No Whinnig After 5 Minutes Driving . No Vibe At All. Vibe Started at 50mph Turning left Uphill.

Rims and Tires are The Same Bfg 33x12.5x15
I Will Swap Front and Rear To See If Any Difference.

Question Is Why The Whinning Changed from 20 To 50mph When i Swaped Axke Shaft. Weird

Last edited:
How Much Lift are you Running?
W/ Your 33in. Tire Size, You Must Have Some Lift.
Have you Relocated Your Track Bar to Compensate?

Had the Same Problem on my '96 Cherokee w/3"in. Lift.
Added a Track Bar Relocation Bracket & Problem Solved!

Hope This Helps,
UncleSarge58

I have 4.5 lift.
I have an HD track bar drop bracket and a WJj track bar upgrade.
You had a whining sound at front end or just vibrations at a specific speed?

not sure....that's what I am trying to figure out......

Please check this video here
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/r...-worried-443073.html#/topics/443073?_k=c2bysy

I have the same exact thing rear passenger side.
When I rebuild my diff from scratch including the rear axle shafts (29.75").
I had this play and it remains the same till now. Some say it's normal play to remove the c-clip when needed some says not.
Just a thought 💭 it might be the cause what I'm having now?

shocks
tires/rims
steering components
steering gearbox
driveshaft
braking system
control arms

axle u-joints

TRCM. I did a test now with 4wd engaged on 50 to 65 mph no whining just a low whistle from the tc i guess it's normal.

In 2wd mode the sound is louder now, also in fraction of seconds interval and not continuous. It increase on acceleration and decrease on deceleration. Starts at 50mph and above.

Swapped the rear tires the sound starts at 62mph and above, it also increase and decrease.

My question why on 4wd everything normal. Can it be a drive shaft or maybe the ring and pinion?

Last edited:
Tony,
I Had Severe Death Wobble! No Whining.
Happened at Exactly 50 mph & Only when Turning Left.
Relocated Track Bar & Problem Solved.
US58

I will go for an adjustable trackbar. Now I have new issue when I did some tests. Please read what I wrote above about the test results maybe you have an opinion that might help.

TRCM. I did a test now with 4wd engaged on 50 to 65 mph no whining just a low whistle from the tc i guess it's normal.

In 2wd mode the sound is louder now, also in fraction of seconds interval and not continuous. It increase on acceleration and decrease on deceleration. Starts at 50mph and above.

Swapped the rear tires the sound starts at 62mph and above, it also increase and decrease.

My question why on 4wd everything normal. Can it be a drive shaft or maybe the ring and pinion?

Can you try it with the front driveshaft out of the vehicle ??

swapping tires (I assume front to rear on each side) made it change, and 4wd vs 2wd is different....hmmmmm

how old is your t-case chain ??
2wd vs 4wd will change which side of the t-case chain has slack...if the chain is being pulled by the front driveshaft (as in fwd 2wd), the slack will be on the bottom, where it can rub the case, if it is being pulled by the mainshaft (as in fwd 4wd), the slack will be up top. This MAY be your hum, and would explain why it goes away in 4wd.....did you by chance try backing up in 4wd to see if you heard anything ?? That would reverse the location of the slack chain.

how bad/hard is the vibe you are feeling in the steering wheel ??

ring & pinion is unlikely since it did it with 2 different axles

I'd say that is a little more than normal.....not sure it is related tho.......

Can you try it with the front driveshaft out of the vehicle ??

swapping tires (I assume front to rear on each side) made it change, and 4wd vs 2wd is different....hmmmmm

how old is your t-case chain ??
2wd vs 4wd will change which side of the t-case chain has slack...if the chain is being pulled by the front driveshaft (as in fwd 2wd), the slack will be on the bottom, where it can rub the case, if it is being pulled by the mainshaft (as in fwd 4wd), the slack will be up top. This MAY be your hum, and would explain why it goes away in 4wd.....did you by chance try backing up in 4wd to see if you heard anything ?? That would reverse the location of the slack chain.

how bad/hard is the vibe you are feeling in the steering wheel ??

ring & pinion is unlikely since it did it with 2 different axles

I'd say that is a little more than normal.....not sure it is related tho.......

My Jeep has 250k on it, I bought it last year and never serviced the -TC
The vibe is only when left Cornering uphill and never when driving straight on the highway.
The Humming changed to louder sound today, more like Chuck Chuck sound.

(i didn't change axles as you said I changed drive axle so the problem occurs at the same Differential that why in optioned a ring and pinion issue) .

OK so this is what I must do and test again right?
1) front tire/rims calibration and alignment
2) test it without the front driveshaft
3) 4wd in reverse (this is difficult going backwards 50mph on a highway )

Yes?

Last edited:
OK....I assumed you swapped a new front axle in from the way it was worded in your 1st post.

Turning uphill & to the left will also let oil in the tcase move away from the pump

check front axle u-joints and diff level, & tcase fluid as well (easy enough to do), plus the things you listed.

No need to go 50 in reverse, just see if you hear any unusual noises in reverse

If it is up on stands (the front axle) when you pull the front driveshaft, spin the pinion yoke by hand and see if it operates smoothly.....

what do you mean by front tires calibration ??

OK....I assumed you swapped a new front axle in from the way it was worded in your 1st post.

Turning uphill & to the left will also let oil in the tcase move away from the pump

check front axle u-joints and diff level, & tcase fluid as well (easy enough to do), plus the things you listed.

No need to go 50 in reverse, just see if you hear any unusual noises in reverse

If it is up on stands (the front axle) when you pull the front driveshaft, spin the pinion yoke by hand and see if it operates smoothly.....

what do you mean by front tires calibration ??

I meant balance the tires at the shop

ok...thought so.....can't hurt

TRCM. Update today's test :
Lifted the Jeep at the rear, both tires off the ground and accelerated till 65mph.

Heavy grinding noise (continous), like cutting thick steel with an electric saw at around 62mph. (100-110kmh)

Tires vibrating up and down vigorously (around 2 mm up and down, not in and out ) and of course everything inside the cabin was vibrating.

Bypassing 65mph the noise reduces.

Removing my feet off the gas pedal, no noise or vibration till reaching around 62mph (100-110kmh)

Keeping the pedal on the gas steady at around 62mph, noise and vibes are continuous.

Again the noise is heavy griding, I was shocked.

Forgot to try in 4wd mode forward or reverse.

Thanks

Back