• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip travel?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled a front shaft from the yard and it measures 31.50 full compress from joint center to joint center
While my output to output measurement is 31.50.
Gonna cut a half inch from the end of the slip splines..will this give me ample travel before the yoke bottoms?

No.

Take the shaft to a drive line shop and have it shortened and re-balanced.

I just wonder exactly how much freespace the slip yoke needs to do its job and not bottom out...im sitting on a RE 5.5 short arm lift on my 89 with high pinion d30.

Cut the yoke also, so it won't bottom out...

Whats a half inch amongst friends?....haha

I think ill cut half inch off and see how it does.

That will leave 3inch of spline inside the yoke....

the splines shouldnt bottom out in the yoke.
in every factory shaft i have had, the yoke bottoms out when it contacts the drive shaft.
cutting material off the splines will do nothing for the compressed length.

a factory shaft should be more in danger of pulling apart at full droop than it is in danger of bottoming out at full compression... assuming your arms arent shorter than stock or something.

Sometimes, we just gotta Xperiment! Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Cutting 1/2" off the splines of the slipjoint to prevent it from bottoming out is like taking a 3" long bolt with 2" of threaded shank, and cutting 1/2" off the threads so you can tighten it up enough to hold 2 - 3/8" thick pieces of metal together.

It just don't make a difference.

the splines shouldnt bottom out in the yoke.
in every factory shaft i have had, the yoke bottoms out when it contacts the drive shaft.
cutting material off the splines will do nothing for the compressed length.

a factory shaft should be more in danger of pulling apart at full droop than it is in danger of bottoming out at full compression... assuming your arms arent shorter than stock or something.

Yea i understand what you're saying this shaft came out of a grand cherokee its not like xj shafts....the yoke itself cannot bottom....only the splines
Ill snap a pick....

The purpose of this thread was to get a sense of how much the slip travels inward from ride height(and thusly get a better understanding of the operating parameters im dealing with) in relation to the arch of the front axle during the suspension cycle.
I want to venture a guess and say the slip doesnt get as much of a work out on long arms compared to short arms where the natural arch of motion is greater due to the shorter fulcrum point.

What say you?

Yes. With short arms my shaft actually bottoms out when the left side droops. I need either a shorter shaft or more travel. BUT, cutting splines still nets you nothing but less engagement.

I understand the less engagement part...but as it is now its bottomed out so it has full engagement.

I wonder how much engagement a stock jeeps slip yoke sits at?
That would give me a baseline to contemplate

If you want to know how short your driveline might need to get all you have to do is pull the coils off and sit the thing down on the bumpstops then measure. Unless this shaft is very different from most I think everyone is right in telling you that cutting a bit off the splines will not make for a shorter compressed length though.

Back