• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ham hand held

rookies

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on getting my technician license. I want to get a hand held radio. does anyone have suggestions. Was looking at BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery

A few of us have the Baofeng UV5R-A. We typically communicate over the MURS frequencies (no license needed), or monitor some of the repeaters in the area. Also, I've used mine down at KOH to listen in on the race coverage.

The radios are inexpensive, and work pretty well for what they are. Great battery life, pretty easy to use, but you get what you pay for. I had the speaker go out on one of mine within the first month. Rather than deal with a Chinese warranty claim, I just picked up another radio and an external speaker for the other one.

I'd also like to get my license one of these days. I studied the practice exam years ago, but never made it in to test.

Good luck rookies, I'm sure you will do well. If you can pass the online tests such as eham.net consistently with 85% or better, you'll pass for sure. They will also give you the opportunity to take the General test as it is included. Why not go for it and try. Feel free to ask about 'ham protocol'. I or others would be happy to help.

Passed my test, I think that was the easy part. Been reading the manual on my new radio. I am going to have to take a class On how to use it.

Back