• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam plug depth needed please!

rockosocko

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I'm finishing up building a 4.0 for my son's cherokee and didn't notice that the 'shop' didn't install the rear plug for the cam.
(It's been sitting in a plastic bag for about 12yrs, so I just can't go back and ask them to install one)

I've been told that just to tap it in til it's flush with the edge of the block.
Well, I've seen some that are in to the bottom of the chamfer also, which is a good 1/8" or more.
SO, I need to know which it is.. I thought of putting a flat edge across from the crank gear up to the cam gear and get them 'flat'.
BUT, have also read a few threads of cam failures on break-ins and thought that maybe the lobes weren't in the right position in relation to the lifter.
(and yes, I know that lifters are ground so it keeps the cam pushing rearward..)
Also, picked up a 'thrust' cam bolt with pin to rest at the little point on the back of the timing cover.

Anyone know?
Thanks E

I don't think that's TOTALLY true.. It's the thrust bolt with the pin that keeps the cam in place. In relation to the cam plug and it's depth (and of course length of camshaft itself) It's all got to add up to a given dimension.
It's kinda funky that the timing cover, gear set, cam and cam bolt pin are PRECISSION parts except for that plug.

BUT, there's NO 'step' in the bore for the plug to stop (kinda like the freeze plugs) So if one doesn't know, it could be installed too deep and mis-align the lifters on the cam lobes or produce too much pressure toward the timing cover.
The chain inherintly(sp?) will take up 'some' alignment issues. But if it's too much it will wear the teeth on either the front or back of the gears.
Is your pic current where you can look down the lifter bores and see a lobe at TDC is centered or 'off' to one side?

I put the gear/chain on today to look at it and think I'll just keep a straight edge on the gears, and gently tap the plug in 'til it starts to move the straight edge.

I got two plugs from the parts store 'just in case' and maybe I"ll take a pic or two of what I'm talking about. (might help someone else)
I wonder if the depth of the plug itself varies between suppliers?

I had built several Chevy's with torrington roller bearings behind the cam gear. But you had to make sure of clearance of it all with the block bosses and core shift. (for those who don't know, if you look at a chevy cam boss in relation to the cam bore, it 'should' be centered. If not, they call that core shift and could throw off the dimensions of push-rods from head to head. or cam is closer to one head or side than the other..)
"Dang Jimmy Ray, I just dont' understand why the rockers on the drivers side keep clackin"..

Thank you Driver.
errol

OH, and Napa and Autozone doesn't sell just one plug. They want you to buy a whole box of 10..
Orielly's got them for .92

I think I'll pop the cam out of the other block and see if there's any wear on the ol plug in the block we pulled out.

E

Last edited:
Back