• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Secret to Removing Crankcase Ventalation Elbows and Gaskets

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
What's the secret to removing the crankcase ventalation elbows from the valve cover without breaking them on a 2000 Cherokee 4.0L engine and replacing them.
Thanks,
Bill

Big flat-blade screwdrivers lol. At least that's how I've always done it. Pry up on the gaskets/grommets and take the whole thing out. Then, remove the gasket/grommet from the elbow. To install, put ONLY the gasket/grommet in and then the elbow. Some persuading with a soft-faced hammer may be necessary.

Edit: Actually I just tested both of mine by hand. By prying the elbow at angle, you can get them out. The front one came out with gasket, back gasket would probably need a screwdriver. If the gasket doesn't want to go back in, try getting at least part of it seated and then gently pushing the rest inward with a screwdriver. These things take some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

Last edited:
Idk if I have ever been able to. Usually the grommets are so hard, everything breaks. I don't touch them unless I'm ready to replace them. Greasing them helps with installation.

The secret is to buy new ones. Damn near impossible to save them unless they were pretty new to begin with.

Back