• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel Lock

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,
Not a huge problem, but I was hoping to get an idea before its really cold out or it fails completely. The steering wheel on my 99 XJ, no longer locks when the key is removed from the ignition. I haven't had the column apart, with the exception of changing the turn signal switch in the early spring. I can live without the steering wheel lock function, but I don't want to be stranded or worse yet have it lock up while driving. I've been doing some research, and it seems like it might be the lock cylinder. Any ideas? The key works fine otherwise and it has no other suspect symptoms.

Thanks. Now silly question... Is it possible to get a new lock cylinder that's matched so I don't have to change the door locks or carry 2 keys?

I'd check at a locksmith about the keying, I have an '89 XJ and it has 2 keys anyway so I didn't care when I changed my ignition lock. You can buy the locks at most parts stores, I get mine from NAPA. I don't know about XJ's but NAPA does sell complete lock change kits for cars (or they used to it has been many years since I did a complete car) that includes the appropriately keyed locks for all locks on the vehicle. Last set I bought was for a 1972 Nova I was working on and replaced all the locks, doors, trunk and ignition.

I'd check at a locksmith about the keying, I have an '89 XJ and it has 2 keys anyway so I didn't care when I changed my ignition lock. You can buy the locks at most parts stores, I get mine from NAPA. I don't know about XJ's but NAPA does sell complete lock change kits for cars (or they used to it has been many years since I did a complete car) that includes the appropriately keyed locks for all locks on the vehicle. Last set I bought was for a 1972 Nova I was working on and replaced all the locks, doors, trunk and ignition.

IDK if changing the key cylinder will fix the wheel lock function, but it is simple to do.

Removing the 1997-2001 ignition cylinder is easy, all you need for tools is the ignition key that fits, and a small punch or screwdriver. Turn the key to Accessory, press the square cylinder lock tab on the bottom of the cylinder housing, and the remove the ignition key cylinder by tugging gently on the key.

Any Locksmith can re-key a new or used Cherokee ignition or door lock cylinder.

standard.jpg

It's not the key lock. Could be a broken spring behind the locking pin that engages the plate or part of the rack linkage. No worries on it accidentally engaging when turned on though.

Back