• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 HP gear pattern critique.

Throws

NAXJA Forum User
So, as if I didn't loathe doing gears already, I'm finishing up the front!

Backlash .005
Pinion slinger (.030) + Baffle (.020) and .007 of shim.

D38xmT.jpg

dPRCIo.jpg

Increase pinion depth (thicker shim behind the race)

The straight line at the top with the moon facing down is the giveaway here

If you go too far, it will reverse and it will be a flat line at the root with the moon facing up.

You can deliberately overshoot to find the happy medium

I'd say you're within .002-.004 right now. It doesn't take a lot to make a difference.

For what it's worth, here is a thread where I showed some differences in pinion depth and gear pattern

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1121766&highlight=gear

Note how the pattern changes with subtle differences in pinion depth

Ignore the part where I thought the wrong axle was bad!

Last edited:
Add another.010

What have to look a crapload better than it does now

Throws; Nice images.., thanks. What camera did you use?

md21277; "I found that the problem is actually the rear axle. Then I took it apart and found out why:"

For whatever reason; When I followed the links provided by md21277 back to July 2015.., I see no images to describe the various illustrative educational aspects useful towards this thread. That and I know not why md21277 had issue with his rear axle.

Digger87xj; The Timken; Bearing Damage Analysis Reference Guide--(pdf) download was most useful in many ways, but the only real idea I got from it in looking at the teeth mating in this thread was the possible abrasive metal wear from contaminants, and/or improper installations. Did I miss something?

Thanks all for providing us problems, lol, and solutions. :repair:

*Must spend more time looking at thermal imaging.., and less time fixing stuff.:compwork:

md21277; "I found that the problem is actually the rear axle. Then I took it apart and found out why:"

For whatever reason; When I followed the links provided by md21277 back to July 2015.., I see no images to describe the various illustrative educational aspects useful towards this thread. That and I know not why md21277 had issue with his rear axle.

Seriously? It shows how changing the pinion depth affects the gear pattern. And the noise from the rear was that tore up carrier bearing pictured.

I was surprised a small change wouldn't do it for you. Add another .010 and see if you can get it to reverse.. it will once its too much. Kudos for your perseverance. That's mostly what it takes with these. As you increase you just need to measure and adjust the backlash so it doesn't fall out of range too bad, no need to be exact. And just make sure there is sufficient preload on the pinion bearings. You don't need shims at this point, you can snug them up by hand, just don't go too far and crush the bearing, and don't leave it loose. Again, doesn't need to be exact. If you do it a bunch of times you'll get the feel of how it all comes together.

SERIOUSLY? Sheesh.., such short shrift. As I had explained; the pictures you referenced, via your link did not appear on that 2015 naxja page. Is this because of my connection.., or do others find that those pictures via the link work for everyone else?

I found/find this thread educational, and yet for some reason my machine does not display your md21722 pictures which would go a long way for a complete understanding. Too bad for me I can't access them.

Are these .030 pictures showing correct fit now?

Back