• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L manual tranny tps issue?

Bandito

NAXJA Forum User
everywhere ive looked it says manual tranny xj's tps came with one plug, not 2. mines a manual tranny with two plugs. the tranny has never been swapped and the tranny code in the vin is "L" or 5 speed manual tranny with part time 4x4. again, never been swapped.. this is a 2 owner jeep, me being the second and my grandpa being the first. is this possible? the harness hasnt been spliced and its still the original tranny. did they stop doing 2 plugs after 1988 or something? im stumped. im concerned because ive recently had some idling issues and wonder if this could have something to do with it.

This a renix 4.0 (87-90)? Maybe.
If it is a renix there are a lot of people here who know it well I'm sure they can help.

Ive got a few electrical trouble shooting books for a few early xj in the 80s, I might be able to look it up tomorrow and see if they list it in the book. There is also a 1988(?) mj electrical guide in PDF form online but I don't have a link for it at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Renix era, 87-90 jeeps can use the 2 plug automatic TPS on the 1 plug manual transmission rigs with no problem. The reason we do it, is the manual TPS (1 plug) is way more expensive (lack of demand) that the 2 plug Auto trans TPS.

So while you may have TPS going bad, it is not the wrong TPS causing the problem. What are you symptoms, year, and what have you done so far to the rig?

Oh, and the second plug on the Auto TPS is just not used because yours is a manual Tranny.

Back