• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help, wife's getting ticked.;)

deezyperformance

NAXJA Forum User
98XJ 4.0 on occasion will not turn over. It's very intermittent, dash lights up like all is good but will not crank. Was doing it fairly often so a put a new starter in it and it seemed to clear up. It's done it a few times again now and looking around everything I can find with similar symptoms is related to security. There is no security on this one, just a standard black key. Any suggestions on what it could be? Wife's starting to car shop and that could get dangerous....

You have to be more specific with your symptoms. When the key is turned to START: 1) nothing happens, 2) it only makes one click or maybe some clicking sounds, 3) the starter makes noises but does not engage the flywheel, or 4) the starter engages, turns the motor, but the motor does not fire up and run ?

Not sure about this problem. Almost all the non start issues with no starter engagement I've had turned out to be battery cables.
Head lights would light up fine, turn the key nothing. New cables and never had another issue .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't turn over at all and she said it makes no audible noise. Nothing but dash lights. 2nd or third try it fires right up.

I would suspect the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) needs cleaning or adjusting. Routine maintenance of the start and charge system connections, cleaning/inspecting/tightening, is never a bad idea.

I would suspect the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) needs cleaning or adjusting. Routine maintenance of the start and charge system connections, cleaning/inspecting/tightening, is never a bad idea.

This was my first thought as well.

Try moving the shifter a little or putting it in neutral the next time it won't start.

If it is making no audible noises when the key is turned it is either the NSS, or (as it was on mine) the ignition switch "actuator". It sits between the ignition switch tumbler and the actual ignition switch. Looks thusly:
2578763.jpg

2Q==

Thanks guys looks like I'll be taking a look at the NSS this weekend. As far as the ignition switch actuator was it just a mater of cleaning it or did you just replace?

If it is making no audible noises when the key is turned it is either the NSS, or (as it was on mine) the ignition switch "actuator". It sits between the ignition switch tumbler and the actual ignition switch. Looks thusly:
2578763.jpg

2Q==

I had a similar issue. Mine happened to be some sort of glaze on the battery posts that was clear. No visible acid build up at all. The battery was replaced 5 months earlier. I had 12v at battery and at the starter, when someone would hit the ignition it would just do nothing. Clean your cables and posts, you never know.

...was it just a mater of cleaning it or did you just replace?
Had to replace it. It was broken at the end where it goes into the actual switch. As such, when I turned the key everything would work (lights, radio, horn, wipers, etc.) but got absolutely nothing from the starter, not even a click.

Back